Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Putting Sound in its Place

This topic is 5128 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

PSP? That''s right. I want to put sound in its place. For my program, I wanted some cool background music. I''m using OpenAL, so I converted an mp3 into a wav and threw it in the program. But Holy Crap! The wav is 25MB! That''s too much space for this little program. Does anyone know how to compress wav''s or how to use long songs without using so much space? Thanks, Sean Berry

I would recommend using ogg vorbis compression on the music instead of wav. Its free for use and I believe there are plug-ins for it for both open-al. On another note, if the software is going to be given away free, I would also recommend switching over to fmod. From what I have seen there is much more documentation available for it and it natively supports the ogg format.

http://www.devmaster.net/articles/openal-tutorials/lesson8.php

that''s a tutorial about how to play ogg sounds using openAl. The rest of that programming series is pretty useful as well
personally, I like ogg better than mp3, but that''s just cause it''s free and open source