LISP interpreter/compiler?

Started by
0 comments, last by bjmumblingmiles 20 years, 4 months ago
Hey, I''m just starting to get interested in LISP. I''ve been using Crimson Editor as my IDE for Java, and I''d like to use it for LISP as well. So I need a command line LISP compiler or interpreter...however that works. I''ve played with an interpreter with individual lines of code, but I can see that it''s not a very good way to develop...I need persistent storage. I''ve googled for a couple different LISP implementations, but I couldn''t figure out how to do what I want...in fact, as far as programming lisp goes, I don''t know what it is that I want to do! Any tips would be appreciated. Basically- how can I get started with LISP and an external IDE? Brian J
Brian J
Advertisement
I suggest that you use Corman Lisp as your interactive compiler, because it is a commercial product that is free for non-commercial use. Do not mistake the fact that it acts interactively to mean that it is an interpreter - it compiles everything you input before executing it. You can get it from CormanLisp.com.

As far as IDE, a large benefit of Common Lisp is that it is interactive. Using something like Crimson Editor, while it is a nice text/source editor, is a bad idea because you lose the interactive aspect. I suggest you either use the IDE that comes with Corman Lisp(which says it expires in 30 days but really doesn''t), or Emacs. Emacs is a beast of an editor, with a 2MB manual, but once you get it figured out it is the PERFECT IDE for Lisp. I''ve searched long and hard and have yet to find a better free IDE for Lisp. You can get EMacs from Gnu.Org
"Walk not the trodden path, for it has borne it's burden." -John, Flying Monk

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement