Downloading Linux...

Started by
5 comments, last by Drewish 20 years, 4 months ago
As I have said in one of my other post, I am a complete newbie in Linux (technically not even that considering that I have never used it), and I plan on installing a version of Mandrake (I''m pretty set in my decision). My problem is, I am on a budget (I can''t spend any money), and I want to download Mandrake. I''ve heard bits and pieces about what I have to do (the iso files and such), but I have not found any sources that guide me threw the proccess. Can anyone help me by explaining the procedure to me or by pointing me to some sources I plan on installing Mandrake on a computer without an internet connection, and I have a FTP Client and a version of Adaptec Easy CD Creator 4 abvailable. Thank you for your time. ------ "All animals are equal; but some animals are more equal than others" ~Animal Farm, George Orwell "You grok?" ~Stranger in a Strange Land
Advertisement
First, go to www.linuxiso.org.
Then you need to download the isos. So click the box that says "Mandrake Linux" with a start to the left of it. All they have is version 9.2 and 8.2. If you want some others, then go to www.linuxcompatible.org for 9.0 I think they have.

Then just download all 3 of the cd''s. CD 1(install),2(extras),3. After you donload the isos. You open up cd creator and click File-->Create cd from image. Then it gives you a box. make sure it is set to iso files, so you can view them. Find your mandrake isos and choose the one you want to burn.

This works for all isos...

Now all you need to do is put in a blank cd and click ok or start, whatever it is to burn them.

After that, go to your bios and set your cd rom as your 1st boot device. then save changes.

Put in the mandrake cd and restart the computer. Then find an install guide to install mandrake. There are many but I can''t think of any right now...
Thanks! The proccess isn''t as hard as they make it out to be as it seems.

One quick question though: how much space am I going to need on the disc I''m burning the iso''s to. Currently I have 650MB CD-RW''s, am I going to need another type of disc?

Thanks alot for the information.

------
"All animals are equal; but some animals are more equal than others" ~Animal Farm, George Orwell
"You grok?" ~Stranger in a Strange Land
Well, on linuxiso.org and most sites, it tells you the size of the distibution.

But here are the ones for 9.2 anyway..

Mandrake - Mandrake 9.2 CD 1 Install
652MB

Mandrake - Mandrake 9.2 CD 2 Extras
680MB

Mandrake - Mandrake 9.2 CD 3 Internationalization
695MB

So yes, it doesn''t look like they will fit on your disc. Just go to your local computer store and buy the 700mb disc. That should work fine. Shouldn''t cost much either.
Yes, but will the iso''s work properly on a rewritable disc?

I imagine they will, I''m just making sure.

------
"All animals are equal; but some animals are more equal than others" ~Animal Farm, George Orwell
quote:Original post by Drewish

------

Absolutely no reason why it shouldn''t
Well, R2D22U2..
quote:Original post by Drewish

To confirm, I have installed many linux''s from CD-RWs (though never Mandrake).

The official zorx website
Zorx (a Puzzle Bobble clone)Discontinuity (an animation system for POV-Ray)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement