Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Where Can I Buy VC++ 6.0?

This topic is 5124 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

IMHO would consider not buying vc6 but getting vc.net because the latter is so much more ANSI compliant that you would be able to write compliant code without worrying about silly compiler errors. And that is just a key factor for me, others have their own reasons.

If you know anyone that goes to a college or if you do you can get VC++.net Pro for around $100 in the book store.

------------------------------
If 4 out of 5 people suffer from Diahrea does that mean the fifth person enjoys it?
p.s. excuse me english. im from L.A.

[edited by - DrunkenBastard on November 29, 2003 9:57:02 PM]

quote:
Original post by zacharya
In my country I can get it for five dollars including MSDN

really? We are talking about original sealed MS products or the common third world black market here?

Thanks for the feedback.

Amazon didn''t have it. I have Windows 98, and I don''t know if VC++.net works for w98.

I was going to go w/ VC++ 6.0 because I''ve played with it a bit already.

I''m trying to develop a simple game, with a few windows for the user to click on cards as input, the program then computes and displays winning results (in chart format). There are a few iterations with the user, but that''s the extent of it. I''ve written all the C code for the calculation parts, and I need to now embed it into a user interface program. I have minimal experience with that and need to learn how in the easiest (and least expensive, if possible) way.

Is VC++ not good for this rather simple game?

Thanks,

Jim

2003 .net requires winxp. I use vc6+win98 and it''s everything I''ll need for couple of centuries It also loads fast and ide is just right for me. The only complaint I have is that msdn bookmarks go the way of dodo when I reinstall the os. That is a major pain in the neck because as everyone knows fishing articles out of msdn is like fishing for lockness monster. You hate to loose them once you got them. If you go for vc6 then try to get the pro version as it has the project wizard builder which is very handy for making starting frameworks. Very handy for mfc apps.

quote:
Original post by Invader X
Dont*. Buy a recent IDE/compiler. For example, MSVC++.Net 2003.

*Unless you have a really good reason to...

You couldn't pay me to use .net.

If you want vc++, go ahead, get it at a computer store or amazon.

I personally prefer a compiler that is standard. .net just plain sucks! For example, their new "Template Specialization" Is crap! THe EXE's are twice as big, and it is way more buggy than vc6.

I personally prefer Borland's compiler, or gcc. DO NOT get sucked into buying .net.

[edited by - RhoneRanger on November 30, 2003 2:45:13 AM]

quote:
Original post by RhoneRanger
I personally prefer a compiler that is standard. .net just plain sucks! For example, their new "Template Specialization" Is crap! THe EXE''s are twice as big, and it is way more buggy than vc6.

If you mean a compiler that compiles to the standards, then dont use VC++ 6.0. If you mean a compiler that is standard... then dont use VC++ 6.0 - it''s going away, for good and for the better.

If you think that VC++ 6.0''s template support is as good as VC++.NET 2003''s you are beyond the help of anyone.

Your last suggestion was good though, if you want want to pay money gcc is an excellent alternative.

Colin Jeanne | Invader''s Realm

quote:
Original post by Nervo
quote:
Original post by zacharya
In my country I can get it for five dollars including MSDN

really? We are talking about original sealed MS products or the common third world black market here?

black market of course....
we have a lot of those here....
for 100$ you can get any software you want......

If you are working on windows 98 and your game is for a windows platform and you can get vc++ 6.0 cheap, then go for it. I have to say that the free IDE''s I have tried don''t really compare, but then again I got used to it really early on and now change is just hard. There are free compilers and IDE''s around that some people swear by on these forums but to be honest, vc++ 6.0 was just easier to setup, install and get to work than any of the others. I agree the .net is better than 6.0 but why buy now when you don''t need it and it will cost you soo much more money.

Evillive2

The .NET compiler/linker is available free for download. It comes in the Microsoft .NET Framework SDK as cl.exe. VC6 could therefore be used as an IDE with the more standards-compliant .NET compiler. The catch is that optimizations are disabled, but I do not know which.

If you want Visual C++ 6.0 functionality with a good ANSI GCC compiler, I would advice you to download the free Dev-C++

http://www.bloodshed.net

It''s officially still a beta version, but it works very stable on my computer. It can even import VC++ 6.0 projects and you can relatively easily add new compilers for other platforms.
It has a good file management, class management and easily adjustable settings.

"My basic needs in life are food, love and a C++ compiler"
[Project AlterNova] [Novanet]

Guest Anonymous Poster
There is not *that* much difference either in compliance or performance between 6 and .net what''s more is that .net can''t export to a make file. Something which can be quite necessary sometimes. .Net has a tendency to *forget* settings from time to time so you''ll need to clear and rebuild. It is those little annoying things that keep me using vs6. We won''t see much improvement until the next version *after* whidbey (according to MS themselves). So what I have done is that I pulled out the IDE from VS6 and pulled out the compiler & libraries from .net and made a hybrid version having the vs6 ide shell with .net compiler ... smoking ;-)

Guest Anonymous Poster
With 1000 bucks, I can buy a new computer. That''s a crazy amount of money for a piece of software. Save yourself $950 and get 6.0.

ansnoob ... From: Malaysia

quote:
Original post by quasar3d
banned!

Um, Welcome to the 3rd World.

You know, even through that software is pretty much...stolen, at least he is doing something productive...like programming.