c++ from pupil to master

Started by
10 comments, last by dunkel3d 20 years, 4 months ago
If you really want to learn programming, learn another language. Learning C++'s finer nuances won't help you *that* much, and you're probably ready to write OpenGL right now. But if you're interested in brushing up your programming skills, just start coding something in another language.

The best would be to try some pretty different language, like Scheme or Common Lisp. (Scheme being easier to learn, and cleaner, so I'd recommend it)

[edited by - civguy on December 3, 2003 3:49:25 AM]
Advertisement
Been learning c++ for 6 years now and still don''t feel like a master. I got off to a bad start with a book which didn''t really understand object orientation and was C with a bit extra.

C++ Language 3rd edition: Bjarne Stroustrup - horse''s mouth, well written and steady, reliable.
Effective C++ : Scott Meyers - good writer with clear understanding of conceptual problems people may have. Also technically astute and helpful (CD is far cheaper than both books together)
Exceptional C++ : Herb Sutter(both books) - Read his online articles and Guru of The Week stuff extensively
Design Patterns: Eric Gamma et al - just so you know what people are talking about
Refactoring: Martin Fowler - not C++ but helped me enormously with thinking about restructuring and improving design mistakes.
Efective STL: Scott Meyers - know the tools available - in this case the Standard C++ Library

Heftier books just make my hands hurt holding them and are overwhelming. All of the above are of managable size (except perhaps Bjarne''s but that''s okay!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement