Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mass of real-world materials ?

This topic is 5124 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi guys, How can I determine the mass of objects made up of real materials ? For example, a sphere of solid gold with a radius of 1.0 units (inches, centimeters, etc) ? Do I use the sphere''s volume and the atomic weight of gold ? I really have no clue. It''s just for fun and doesn''t have to be exact. Thanks.

What you want is volume times density, with density being a measure of mass per cubic meter. No doubt there''s a listing of the approximate densities of various materials floating around on the ''net. If you have a set of scales floating around at home you could probably work it out yourself for the really common materials.

Guest Anonymous Poster
I''m not sure how helpful that webelements site is for this purpose. It only lists elements, and I didn''t see any data about density.

After a quick search, I found this site with a long listing of densities of various materials: http://www.gkehe.8m.com/data.htm

Multiply the density by the volume, and you know the mass. You should be able to find lists of formulae for the volumes of simple geometric solids.

you can get densities easily by googling Mendeleiev, because most people include densities (at standard temperature&pressure and structure).
Count 3000Kg/m^2 for concrete or stone
1000 for water
7000 for steel
20000 or so for gold