Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Windows simple input

This topic is 5123 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, I''m looking for a way to do some very simple input on a windows application. Through a dialog box preferably. However, since what I''m writing is a driver for this application, I''m not allowed to add any resources such as dialogs to the project. Neither can I convert it to a console application or change project parameters. How can I retrieve input for this application? Does windows have standard input dialogs I can use? What are the dependencies for these dialogs and how do I call/use them? Or do you know other ways of retrieving the input? Thanks!

Quote: Neither can I convert it to a console application or change project parameters.

Anyhoo, as far as raw keyboard input, there is the WM_KEYDOWN message that is sent to a window when the user presses a non-system key and no child window has the keyboard focus.

As far as formated user input, there are edit boxes and buttons and all kinds of things that you can drop into a window as child windows.

I really don''t know the specifics, so I can''t go into more detail

The following is a list of topics to look up in the MSDN (Either the help files that come with Visual Studio or online from Microsoft.com).

WM_KEYDOWN
WM_COMMAND
CreateWindow()
SendDlgItemMessage()
DestroyWindwo()
RegisterClassEx()
WNDCLASSEX

You can use RegisterClassEx() with a WNDCLASSEX structure to create your own window class (like a new button class or something) and supply a WNDPROC template function to add functionality to the new class.

Please post the specifics if you can

Hope that helps,
QBRADQ