Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

x86 Cross Compilation to OSX ?

This topic is 5122 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi ! I was wondering if there is any way to compile an OSX application under a x86 OS (NT or Linux i don''t care).. I''ve read some stuff about a possibility, but not enough information on it ... Anyone has any information ? Francois

I believe OSX is based on BSD and that gcc is the compiler of choice. Finding the appropriate libraries is up to you

[ Start Here ! | How To Ask Smart Questions | Recommended C++ Books | C++ FAQ Lite | Function Ptrs | CppTips Archive ]
[ Header Files | File Format Docs | LNK2001 | C++ STL Doc | STLPort | Free C++ IDE | Boost C++ Lib | MSVC6 Lib Fixes ]

It cant be done(At least I didnt find any such tool and I did take the time to research Mac/PC cross platform dev tools). I think Metrowerks used to give such solution in older version of codewarrior, but this feature is not implemented in that latest releases. I can understand the need for such a feature, but keep in mind that u will probably have to test your code on a Mac anyway so why not build your code on a Mac as well?

Aviv

Because I don''t own personally a Mac, and I need
to build some stuff for Mac.
I know some pople who has mac, but far from me,
and can''t really give away my source code like this

But I think I''ll have to buy a mac soon...

Just build a gcc cross compiler. There''s more than enough documentation, although it can be a little cryptic. The idea is to build a native version of gcc that compiles PPC binaries.

Or tell gcc to compile for a different platform.

I don''t think it supports Win32 or OSX apps except through cygwin/etc but I could be very wrong.

But basically gcc can compile for a different platform than what it is running on.