Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Managed DirectX

This topic is 5128 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey guys, I was just wondering, don''t your think that Managed DirectX is going to become the Graphics Standard API and push opengl to the side. I''m a big fan of Opengl however i have also seen the Managed DirectX in action and Microsoft is trying to wipe off opengl. I must also admit that openg has got alot of tutorials and all that but i''ve seen guy construct some really smart graphics applications not games, in Managed DirectX. I really hoped that people don''t abandon opengl in favor of Managed DirectX. James

This comes up every once in a while. OpenGL is here to stay. DirectX has support on an extremely limited set of platforms, OpenGL has support on many platforms. High-end graphics platforms use OpenGL, not DirectX. Nothing wrong with DX of course, it''s a perfectly valid option for Windows platforms.

quote:
Original post by JuNC
This comes up every once in a while. OpenGL is here to stay. DirectX has support on an extremely limited set of platforms, OpenGL has support on many platforms. High-end graphics platforms use OpenGL, not DirectX. Nothing wrong with DX of course, it''s a perfectly valid option for Windows platforms.

I am not a big fan of Managed DX, but you can''t call Windows "an extremely limited set of platforms". Over 95% of people have it... that isn''t limited.

maybe 95% of desktop owners. That does not include workstations, servers (Why you would need a 3d api on a server though is beyond me ) and other business related usage. Which I think is what was ment by the second opinion Most of the 3d graphics pakages have open gl renderers (max is the only one I can think of that has DX and the problem is the open GL one is a bit better than the DX one. Now after all this I use DX because I like it better than open gl and I don''t program workstation 3d apps I make games (or will someday)