Icons In Visual C++ 6

Started by
6 comments, last by weasalmongler 20 years, 4 months ago
Hey all, This is probably quite a trivial question, but does anybody know how to compile an exe with an icon that has a greater colour bit depth than 8 bits, because it seems like MSVC++6.0 only supports 4 and 8 bit bitmaps. Any help you guys could give me would be much appriciated, thanks. EDIT : Oh yeah, and the same thing applies for toolbar button pictures, I need them to have a higher colour depth as well. - James [edited by - weasalmongler on November 30, 2003 4:26:10 PM]
Advertisement
Create them in an external editor then import them into your resource file.

Colin Jeanne | Invader''s Realm
I have already created the bmp/jpg image files, I cant import them in though because they need to be .ico files, can these be generated by other programs? If so does anybody know any good ones?

Thanks.

- James
I use irfanview, it can save it as .ico files and lots of others, you can download it at http://www.tucows.com/preview/194967.html
Thanks! Thats done the job for the icon stuff!

One more thing though, if I want to go about importing an image for a toolbar button, how do I get it in and onto the button?

Thanks for more of your time.

- James
First go to the Insert menu, Resource(simpler way is to just press ctrl + R) select Toolbar, then paste the picture onto the blank icon that pops up
Yeah, I just read that back and I missed a key word from that sentance, sorry. How do I import 16 bit images and place them on the buttons in the toolbar? I knew how to paste stuff onto buttons, its just if you paste directly on to the button it seems to compile in 8 bit colour and it looks horrible. There must be a way of doing this, can anybody help?

Thanks.

- James
Use CreateWindowEx and you have the field for the tool bar.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement