Texturing a Height Map

Started by
1 comment, last by Ratterbox 20 years, 4 months ago
How do you texture a Height Map?? Not with just one texture, but with many, For example, Low points are dirt, mid points are grass and High points are snow??? Thanks
Advertisement
I don''t know everything about landscaping yet, but I think I know enough to answer this. Correct me if I''m wrong anyone. A height map is only going to provide the software with enough data to generate a terrain. After you have generated a terrain, you simply lay your texture map over the top of it. The texture map should be created after the height map, based on the height map. I suppose you could take the height map, then replace high whites with a snow-like texture, replace mid-whites with a grassy texture, darker whites with a dirt-like texture, and any black with water texture. Then save this as your texture map.

I guess there could be a better way to do it based on elevation if you used shaders, but don''t get me lying...I have no idea.

Chris
Chris ByersMicrosoft DirectX MVP - 2005
There are a number of ways.

1. Take 1 texture that contains where you want grass, snow, dirt to show up and drape it across the entire terrain. Be sure to use filtering on the texture. This method loses a lot of detail for terrain that''s close up but works very well for terrains with multiple diffrent textures. People usually opt to have a detail texture that is laid on the triangles that are near the camera view point to give the illusion of texture detail. Black and White I beleive used this method.

2. The method that I like:
http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=179841
downside is that the number of textures you use is limited by how many textures your card can do.
You probably could implement this method using a splatting method also. But then it''s fillrate limited.

3. You divide up your terrain mesh by the texture that it is using and create blending textures for the transition areas. This is fairly complicated but can create some very nice results.

That''s about all I have. UltimaX knows quite a bit about terrain rendering (specially LOD) also and hopefully might see this thread.
~Wave

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement