Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

blinking in animation

This topic is 5127 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have an animation where I call glNewList draw my objects glEndList glCallList glFinish glutSwapBuffers glutPostRedisplay the problem is there is blinking each time I call this to animate my scene, is there any way to get around this? Also many of the objects do not move in the animation, is there any way to not redraw these each time? Thanks ahead of time.

As a general note, unless you have a good reason, it''s probably faster to just draw instead of compiling a new display list every frame (unless I''m misreading something).

Blinking is a pretty vague and nontechnical word. If you mean "tearing" (a flashing caused by partial overdraw), make sure that waiting to flip on vertical-sync (v-sync) is enabled.

Typically, in 3D APIs, drawing is done in a frame-based manner, so there''s no standard way to leave certain objects behind. (Actually, there was an OpenGL extension to specify certain dirty rectangles to be flagged for redraw, so maybe there is. However, if you aren''t careful with things like clearing your z-buffer, this option would be more trouble than good).

Later,
ZE.

//email me.//zealouselixir software.//msdn.//n00biez.//
miscellaneous links

i think i''m having the same problem... mine is probably not "tearing" since its the only surface (its a wall). What I see is flickering of the wall.

This does not happen when an ambient light shines througout the room, only when a spotlight shining on the wall is used.

i''d like to know more abt
waiting to flip on vertical-sync (v-sync).. how do I enable this?
is it disabled by default?

thanks in advance

I think my problem is different, I change my displaylist and then redisplay for the animation. I believe this is the cause of the "blinking" by which I mean the window clears and then redraws. I''m not sure if there''s a way around it, but the "blinking" makes it difficult to appreciate the animation.

thanks for any help.