Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Newbie here!, need help for using graphics with c

This topic is 5128 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi!. Can anyone give me a hand?. I know the basics of c, but i dont have any idea how to use graphics. I want start with 2d graphics for win98. What I need to make bitmap and put it on the screen?. I read a lot of tutorials here, but they are more for "advanced" people. Please HELP!

Hey,
In the previously featured articles section, which is just under the featured articles on the front page, there''s one called "Game Programming Genesis" from back in 1999 or 2000. It gives you the basics of windows programming and then moves into DirectDraw. Nowadays, even 2D graphics are typically done using 3D, but that''ll give you a good introduction to windows and games programming in general. I found it really helpful.

tj963

Ok, Ive downloaded all these tutorials.
But i find them too basic or too advanced.
I need a tutorial in a way between the basic and advanced level.

Hello Lucaz!

To use graphics with C, you need to use a Graphics Library. A Graphics Library has functions that you can call to put a graphic on the screen, for example.

IMHO, the ALLEGRO library is a great choice to start off. This library has functions not only for graphics, but sound and input funcionality. And it''s very easy! You can know more about ALLEGRO here:

http://www.talula.demon.co.uk/allegro/

Using C and ALLEGRO, you can create good 2D games, like platform side-scrollers and shooters.

Oh, BTW, there is also SDL. You can team up C with SDL to create those 2D games too!

And when you are very confortable with one of these libraries, you can give Direct X and OpenGL a try. They are much more powerfull!

I hope I could help you!

quote:
Original post by gamemasterbr
Hello Lucaz!

To use graphics with C, you need to use a Graphics Library. A Graphics Library has functions that you can call to put a graphic on the screen, for example.

IMHO, the ALLEGRO library is a great choice to start off. This library has functions not only for graphics, but sound and input funcionality. And it''s very easy! You can know more about ALLEGRO here:

http://www.talula.demon.co.uk/allegro/

Using C and ALLEGRO, you can create good 2D games, like platform side-scrollers and shooters.

Oh, BTW, there is also SDL. You can team up C with SDL to create those 2D games too!

And when you are very confortable with one of these libraries, you can give Direct X and OpenGL a try. They are much more powerfull!

I hope I could help you!

He said it perfectly.

Hello Lucaz!

When I wrote "You can team up C with SDL to create those 2D games too" I mean that you can use SDL with C the same manner you use Allegro with C. BTW, the url to the SDL web site is:

http://www.libsdl.org/index.php

Let me know if you need any help, ok?

Best regards,

Andre
a.k.a G@memaster