Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Multi-threading with objects

This topic is 5125 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I don't have much experience with using threads on a per-object basis. By object, I mean an instantiation of a C++ class, not a Win32 API notion of objects. I need a way for objects to have their own threads that modify members of the object. I will pass in 'this' as the LPVOID argument of the thread so that it knows about the object it has to play with. I thought a bit about it and here are 2 ways I thought of doing it. 1) find out what members the thread needs to modify, and make them public. Not that great a solution. Making accessor functions would not make it any cleaner, as the outside world still has access to members that really shouldn't be public. 2) hard-code offsets of the members that the thread needs to modify, and write directly to ('this' + offset). It breaks encapsulation, but so what. The outside world still sees these members as being private, so at least the ugliness is contained within. Are there better alternatives? [edited by - foofightr on November 30, 2003 8:14:31 PM]

Don''t confuse control flow with data flow. It''ll only lead to tears.

A thread is a function call. In terms of data access, that''s all it is. In C++, it has to be either a global function, or a class-static function. If a thread is "owned" by an object, the latter is really a better solution.

Watch this:

class A
{
static void MyStaticFunc(void* data) { reinterpret_cast<A*>(data)->MyFunc();
void MyFunc() { ... }
};

Now MyStaticFunc can be used as a function pointer. Pass in the "this" pointer of an A, and that A will have its MyFunc() called by the thread.

"Sneftel is correct, if rather vulgar." --Flarelocke

umm, you cant use reinterpret_cast on void pointers, as the compiler cant assume anything about the memory pointed to by a void pointer, you would have to use static cast instead.

According to stroustrup anyway.. (I only know this cos i read it this morning in the train )

"The compiler cannot assume anything about the memory pointed to by a void*. This implies that dynamic_cast - which must look into an object to determine its type - cannot cast from a void*. for that a static_cast is needed."

Hello foofightr,

I would do something along the lines of what Sneftel says.
But I would do it by way of a base class that would handle the
creating of threads and running a function. That way you can decide if you want your class to be threaded or not by simple inheritance, as long as your class was a run methed defined.

basic idea here is you can simple make a class thread able by inheriting form the thread class, and create a method that the base thread class would call ie like a run() method.

so you have this.

class A // thread class
{
static void MyStaticFunc(void* data); // this becomes the method form creating the thread using data which was the this passed in by start()
void start(); // this would call the MyStaticFunc with this as the data
virtual void MyFunc() = 0; // the deriving class must define the run method
};

class B : public A
{
void MyFunc()
{
// code to run.
}
}

Then what you do is create a class B, which at creation is not in a thread yet, this allow you to do things in your class like set parameters before it becoming a thread.
Then when your ready for it to be a thread call start() and then away you go it a thread.

Lord Bart