Friction.....

Started by
21 comments, last by bioagentX 20 years, 4 months ago
I have a physics problem, that is written below, and I have a question about it. Here is the problem: A box is given a push so that it slides across the floor. How far will it go, given that the coefficient of kinetic friction is .2 and the push imparts an initial speed of 4.0 m/s. Now, I''ve been thinking about this problem for a while, and I don''t really know what to do. Wouldn''t you need to at least know the mass of the object or the time it takes for the object to come to rest? Any help is appreciated. Thanks in Advance, --BioX
There are three types of people in this world, those who can count, and those who can't
Advertisement
Now, I''ve been thinking about this problem for a while, and I don''t really know what to do.

Write out the equations, leaving whatever you don''t know as a symbolic parameter. Then work from that.

Wouldn''t you need to at least know the mass of the object or the time it takes for the object to come to rest?

No you don''t.

Any help is appreciated.

Homework questions don''t belong in here.

[ Start Here ! | How To Ask Smart Questions | Recommended C++ Books | C++ FAQ Lite | Function Ptrs | CppTips Archive ]
[ Header Files | File Format Docs | LNK2001 | C++ STL Doc | STLPort | Free C++ IDE | Boost C++ Lib | MSVC6 Lib Fixes ]
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
why not?
If you could direct me to a place where I could obtain this information I'd be most grateful, until then, this is my best resource.

--BioX

[edited by - BioagentX on November 30, 2003 9:47:32 PM]
There are three types of people in this world, those who can count, and those who can't
If you''re in middle/high school, then there''s usually homework clinics at school, or at a community center near you.

If you''re a freshman taking "basic physics you should have gotten in middle school for liberal arts majors 101" then there''s SURE to be TAs who can help you with these problems.

If nothing else fails, why don''t you call the teacher who gave you the homework in the first place, and tell him that you''re having trouble with this question, and what kinds of clarity can he give? Or search him out during recess and ask the same thing.

Or, worst case, pay a tutor.

Anyway, the crazy thing is that you already GOT all the help you need! Fruny is right on the money. If you''re too lazy to do even that, then you should save yourself some time, and take a job flipping burgers or something right now. School''s harder than that, and real life''s even worse.
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };
I just want an answer to this one problem so I can know how to do problems like it. I don''t need to enroll in some clinic or community center you moron. I can''t believe you even suggested that. I tried google already...no luck. And I wouldn''t dare dream of calling my teacher....who the f--k does that? I''m going to get the answer tomorrow, I just wanted to see if there was anyone willing to help me out before tomorrow. I guess not.

he told you everything already. Write down the damn equations and just solve them. Your problem is very basic. Just write down the damn equations on paper.
bioagentX,

I''m the moderator of this forum, and I set the policy on homework, which you can review in the forum FAQ:

Forum FAQ

There are two basic reasons why homework isn''t appropriate for these forums. First, this is a game development sight, and homework usually is not about game development. Some of these questions are a misuse of our expensive bandwidth. But, of course, some homework questions are relevant and so some of them are allowed to remain open. But we ask that you follow the guidelines in the FAQ.

More importantly, though, there are a bunch of people out there who will cheat on their homework if given a chance. Now, many students really do want to learn but there have been quite a number of posts here where the poster was obviously just trying to get a complete answer so that they could pass a test or homework, without doing hard work themselves. In 10 years they will wish they had done the work. This forum does not wish to help students cheat because it just will not help those folks in their jobs or life once they graduate. It surely will not help them find and keep a job in game development---there''s twenty thousand other hungry kids and adults who are better than that scrambling for the same job. Cheating kills a person''s problem-solving skills. Those skills don''t come for free, and take time to develop. And so we try to close threads that are homework, suggest that students discuss problems with their fellow students and teachers, and educate the community about the forum policy---what it is and why.

As you can see from the comments from other forum members, folks here are mostly aware of the policy and are very good at helping me to enforce the policy.

As for your question, its tangentially relevant to game development. Games have boxes that slide across the floor. Games have physics. And you didn''t ask for a direct answer so as far as I''m concerned your post can remain open. BUT, I hope that forum members will not just solve the problem for you and give the answer. That would disturb me.

The forum FAQ does provide you with links to more homework-oriented sites (e.g., Dr. Math).

Graham Rhodes
Senior Scientist
Applied Research Associates, Inc.
Graham Rhodes Moderator, Math & Physics forum @ gamedev.net
quote:Original post by bioagentX
And I wouldn''t dare dream of calling my teacher....who the f--k does that?

I hope you do come back to read replies to your thread. To answer your question, I asked my teachers. Now I have a Masters degree, 75% of a Ph.D, and a stable, excellent paying job that gives me the freedom to pursue just about any damned thing I want (which is game development and 3D graphics). I didn''t get here because I''m a natural genious. I got here because I asked. Smart folks aren''t afraid to ask. Your high school peers may laugh for about 30 seconds, but not the smart ones. And even the stupid ones will forget about it in about a minute. Its silly not to ask. You may actually learn something if you do.

Graham Rhodes
Senior Scientist
Applied Research Associates, Inc.
Graham Rhodes Moderator, Math & Physics forum @ gamedev.net
The mass of the box is needed to solve this problem. Coefficient of friction is force of friction over normal force. Since there is no vertical acceleration, normal force = mass times g (9.80 N/kg). Using the coefficient of friction, you then find the net force on the block which is the force of friction, and use the equation a = delta v over delta t to find delta t, or whatever you need to find. This is basic grade 12 physics.
Check out Drunken Brawl at http://www.angelfire.com/games6/drunken_brawl!
quote:Original post by grhodes_at_work
...First, this is a game development sight, ...

[SpellingNazi]
You mean site, right? :-P
[/SpellingNazi]
Turring Machines are better than C++ any day ^_~

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement