Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

c++ tutorial

This topic is 5127 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

i''m a newbie in c++, and i''ve been reading alot about it in books and tutorials. well, it helps me alot. but now, i need something more. These newbie books and tutorials only explain until file handling. nothin about graphics. i did tried to learn about graphics, but they''re so very complicated for me. can anyone help me with this, like showing me a link to these not so novice and also not too advance tutorials? Thanks alot!!!!

Well, what books have you looked at? I recommend you get c++ primer by Stanley Lippman and Josee Lajoie, its a good start if you haven't read it yet. You might want to learn a little about windows API if you think you are ready, you can learn how to use GDI which is pretty slow for games but its a start and you won't have to deal with text based games after that. If you want to learn about windows API here's a link to a tutorial, its pretty easy to follow IMO.

[edited by - PatrickD on November 30, 2003 12:49:44 AM]

quote:
Original post by Spudder
Have a look at GameTutorials, they have tutorials to get you started with C++ and some console graphics

I didn''t really like GameTutorials. I found that books got me to what I wanted, and quicker. I really liked Object-Oriented Programming in C++ and am now playing around with Allegro to test out what I''ve learned from reading that book.

Before tackling gfx make sure you have good experience with C part of C++, mainly pointers, structs, arrays and how to build abstract data types and data structures like linked list, etc. You might or might not want to go into OOP with C++ before starting on gfx. Your first gfx program will be simple and will probably use structured paradigm. Even if you use C++ objects then you still should know how to decompose complex algos into functions or do modular programming.

Gfx are in theory simple. You load a bitmap image into memory and give it to the card to display for certain amount of time. Then you move the image a bit then show it again. You can either use 2D gfx api like direct draw 7 or use 3D api like opengl/direct 3d9 for that. Or you can use pre-built gfx libs like sdl/allegro that take care of the low level details for you. With those you can have quick results. You should probably go with something that encapsulates the operating system api as well as 2D gfx api like sdl/allegro,etc or glut for opengl. That seems the most painless ways I think. Later you can drop a level or two down into nitty gritty details of gfx once you learned the basic concepts. If you like to do that now then all you need is a ddraw7/win32 api specs and c/c++ to get started. You can goto my site and download the source to ddraw game. The code is in C and it''s messy but you can use it for learning ddraw/input/sound/music details.

Forged3D world editor