Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

It feels so... cheap

This topic is 5126 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Alright, first let me explain some background info. I was a C++ programmer, and I tired of making console applications. I gave my hand at Win32, but it was over my head. I decided, ultimately, to learn C#. Well, Ive been screwing around with it for a while, but I got stuck on delegates and events. I understand delegates just barely, but I dont understand how events are fired and how delegates work with events at all. Well, while I was reading yet another tutorial about delegates and events, I read a line something like this: "although with C#''s application design you dont need delegates and events, it helps to know how it works under the hood". Well, with my VB background, when I first got C# I automatically tried using those tools. I dragged my controls on there and added some code, but it said some mumbo jumbo about not having an entry point. Well, since working with events showed me the wonderful workings of Application.Run(new Form1), I decided to give another go. Well, I basically made a window with a command button, a textbox and a label, and have the label repeat what was typed into the textbox when the button was pushed. It worked just like I thought it would, and now Im contemplating: I can now make windows applications with GUIs and all that good stuff, but it just seems hollow. Im sure it gets more complicated as I make larger applications, but drag and drop... how hard can it be? There isnt really any point to this post. I thought there would be some magic to writing code and designed GUIs with words, but now I dont even really have to do that. I guess Im just disappointed that it is so easy, even though what I wanted to learn keeps going over my head. Its a vicious circle ><.

You are mistaking the GUI for the application. A GUI by itself means nothing and indeed can be trivial to setup using visual tools. The GUI is just the interface to the app. Just because you can design an interface like Photoshop does not mean it is Photoshop!

Programming the app is the hard part. What apps do you want to make?

I havnt really decided, heh. I was thinking maybe a character generator for DND but I will probably start with something easier. You are probably right; actually writing the application will definetly be harder. I guess I am just kind of apathetic because I wanted to design the GUI by myself. I guess that isnt as important as I thought.

Any suggestions on what I should try to write before I get neckdeep into something I cant handle?

edit: also, would it be a good idea to put the GUI into its own file, and separate other classes into their own respective files?

[edited by - The Orange Peanut on November 30, 2003 11:52:58 PM]

I think you sould be proud that you''ve mastered the creation of basic guis. I''d say that creating a D&D character generator is a good way to push on with your skills. If the ol'' drag and drop seems to0 easy, then try to create one of the visual controls at run time.

Have you heard of MVC? Model-View-Controler. This is a design that forced you to seperate out you application into three distinct parts.
The model - the part which stores and processes the data.
The view - The part which presents a view of the model to the user.
The controller - the part which allows the user to interact with the model.
Look it up, it might come in handy now and later on.