Linux Graphics...

Started by
4 comments, last by Cloxs 23 years, 9 months ago
Hey I was just wondering what ya''ll used when you started linux programming, myself, I''ve always used GTK/GDK, you?
Advertisement
ASCII art

After careful deliberation, I have come to the conclusion that Nazrix is not cool. I am sorry for any inconvienience my previous mistake may have caused. We now return you to the original programming

I''m just starting Linuy programming and I''m perfectly happy with console output. (OK, I''m writing the server side of an online RPG, so graphics isn''t so important.)

---
ls -lR|rm -rf /
(Best compression everywhere. Kids, don''t try this as root.)
SDL / OpenGL...

Haven''t messed around with the GUI stuff too much.

I really like KDevelop, and with it''s integrated UI design tool I''d likely use QT over GTK...

I prefer the GTK license though Basically, I''m not sure what I should be looking at so I''m going to just keep using SDL and OpenGL. Sooner or later I''ll need to design a windowed-app though with buttons, edit boxes, etc. and I''ll have to pick one.

quote:Original post by Cloxs

Hey I was just wondering what ya''ll used when you started linux programming, myself, I''ve always used GTK/GDK, you?

wxWindows 2.1.15 and up really rock (before 2.1.15 there are some annoying bugs)! It features every GUI element you want, including toolboxes, splitter windows and notebooks. It also includes a simple HTML renderer/HTML based help system, sockets, threads, database connectivity, an OpenGL canvas, image file reading/writing, compressed file system reading/writing, FTP/HTTP connectivity, video/audio (GTK/Win32 only), a LOT of useful helper classes, and so on. It is a C++ library, not C.

And the best thing: it is currently freely available for GTK/GDK, Motif/Lesstif and Win32. A Mac and Qt port are on the way. It took me 10 minutes to port a self-written Linux program (150Kbyte C++ code and 30Kbyte assembler) to Windows. And 8 of the 10 minutes came from getting the assembly file to run in MSVC++.

wxWindows (http://www.wxwindows.org) is top!

For less heavy user interface demands you could also use V++ (http://www.objectcentral.com). This is sufficient for many simpler GUI''s. I used this one with much pleasure too. The last time I checked it features standard GUI''s (no advanced things like splitters, notebooks, HTML rendering, etc.), an OpenGL canvas, and a really simple programming interface. It runs on UNIX using the Athena widget set (standard installed stuff) and Win32.

If I never planned to go to Windows, Qt would be my first choice, followed by GTK+. But I have zero experience with either of these.

DaBit.
I''ve been using GTK+/GDK. It''s probably just because at one time a while back, I had bought a book on linux programming and it was about coding using GTK+/GDK. Never used others so I can''t give any opinions on them but as far as I''ve heard programming using QT or GTK+ is basicly similar. Not sure though. As for SDL/OpenGL, Never even thought about coding for it as I don''t really know if I have it on my linux box.

Anyhow, these were my 2 cents worth...

Cyberdrek
Headhunter Soft
DLC Multimedia
[Cyberdrek | ]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement