Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Few simple Direct3D Q's..

This topic is 6361 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

These may seem like simple questions but I haven''t dealt that much yet with 3d. (or any, really, for that matter). Up to now everything I''ve done has been 2D and Winows (no dumb MFC though.. ) 1) Do textures have to be in powers of 2? such as 64x64, 128x128? If so, what cards require these textures and wich do not. Also what cards can handle non-square textures? 2) Vertex lighting is done by hardware right? If anyone could answer these questions or point me in the diurection of a good read that would inform me on such items as this I would be greatly apreciative.. Thx.

Guest Anonymous Poster

2. Presently vertex lighting is mostly done in software. There are however the new TnL (Texture & Lighting) cards that can do hardware vertex lighting.

They''re not really D3D Q''s. If you don''t have any experience in the 3d field, i would recommend OpenGL. see www.opengl.org and nehe.gamedev.net for more. i think (not sure) it can use non-2power textures, but sized to one that is. for non-square tex''s, in OGL you specify the points in the texture for every vertex of the poly. then you can use a square tex, and only show a rectangular part of it, or a star-like part of it, etc.

"Everything is relative." -- Even in the world of computers.