Quick serch algorithms

Started by
3 comments, last by PGmeiner 23 years, 9 months ago
Hi everybody. I had just a simple question. Ok, i had the following problem. I had some ini-files in which many important information about my applikation are saved. Now when i read from this file and i would only a definitely string like "InstallPath = c:\programs\". Exists there any search algorithms with which i can find such a string quickly, because when the files are very big the perfomance will suffer. I know there exists a binary-search-algorithms, but this one is not good for this case. I hope someone can help me. Thank you for you help! Peter G.
Peter Gmeiner
Advertisement
Well the easiest solution is stick to the INI-Standards, don''t use any weird sutom file stuff and use the GetPrivateProfileString and WritePrivateProfileString to handle the ini file. If that''s two slow (I''ve tested it on files up to a couple hundred kb) e-mail me back and I''ll post an "InStr" procedure, it works like vb''s instr but it''s written in asm. You could eaily stick it into in-line assembly.
See ya,
Ben

P.S. actually e-mail me if you want that procedure. Otherwise I may forget to check back on the post. :-)
__________________________Mencken's Law:"For every human problem, there is a neat, simple solution; and it's always wrong."
"Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons."- Popular Mechanics, forecasting the relentless march of science in 1949
Hi ben

thank you for the tip with the INI-File standard-functions. I decide now to write and read the setting information about my application from the registry. I think thats easier and I do not need an Ini-File.
Nevertheless thank you for your help

bye

P. Gmeiner
Peter Gmeiner
quote:when the files are very big

I hate my registry being filled with A LOT of useless junk. I don''t care if the application is helpful to me or not, I just hate people putting all of their junk in my registry, and almost 90% of those people do not know how to manipulate the registry properly, and where to place their "junk". I would suggest that you stick to files, you (or the user) can always delete the file when your application is uninstalled, but not many people can clean up their registry (and as you said, it would be a VERY BIG pile of information). I hope I don''t come across your program at all.

-------------------------

That's just my 200 bucks!

..-=gLaDiAtOr=-..

When you mean that the information which is saved in the registry is a useless junk then you are wrong. In the most cases the Information who was earlier saved in Ini-Files, now are in the registry. And I think this is the background idea of the registry, to reduce the Ini-Files. And these are in my eyes only some important setting data like InstallPath or the Language. A good software should remove when it were uninstalled the registry-entries automatically. I think for the User the registry is completely uninteresting and that should be so. I also not say that I will save big pile of information to the registry. My first question was only if there exists a method to get definitely information from a file very quickly and nothing more!!

P.G.
Peter Gmeiner

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement