Testing for arrow keys..

Started by
7 comments, last by supersaiyan 23 years, 9 months ago
How can you check to see if the user has pressed one of the arrow keys using Visual C++ 6.0?
KA...ME...HA...ME...HA!!!
Advertisement
That realy depends on the OS you are using.

#define MY_LIFE BUSY
http://www.crosswinds.net/~druidgames/resist.jpg
If you are programming for directx then use would use direct input, if you are programming for windows then you could use the WM_KEYDOWN message, if you are programming for dos you could start thinking about programming for directx.

/CMN
isn''t MSVC++ a Windows only compiler? if not, what other os''s does it support?

JoeMont001@aol.com www.polarisoft.n3.net
My HomepageSome shoot to kill, others shoot to mame. I say clear the chamber and let the lord decide. - Reno 911
quote:Original post by Julio

isn''t MSVC++ a Windows only compiler? if not, what other os''s does it support?

I think he meant to ask whether he was making a console program, a windows program using just windows API calls, or a directX windows program.

Masters Software
If you want to check key asynchronously (i.e. independently of your messageloop you can use

SHORT GetAsyncKeyState(INT vKey)

with a parameter of VK_LEFT, VK_RIGHT, VK_UP or VK_DOWN.
The value returned has the MSB set if the key is pressed and the LSB set if the key has been pressed sometime after the last call to GetAsyncKeyState
In a windows app without using DirectInput I insert the following in my callback message handler.

switch(uMsg)
{
case WM_KEYDOWN:
switch (wParam)
{
case VK_UP: break;
case VK_DOWN: break;
case VK_LEFT: break;
case VK_RIGHT: break;
case VK_CLEAR: break;
case VK_F1: break;
case VK_F2: break;
case VK_F3: break;
case VK_F4: break;
case VK_F5: break;
case VK_F6: break;
case VK_F7: break;
case VK_F8: break;
case VK_F9: break;
case VK_ESCAPE: break;
}
default: return DefWindowProc(hWnd,uMsg,wParam,lParam);
}
return 0L;
}

Hope this helps.

IceFire
Just use this macro:

#define KEY_DOWN(vk_code) ((GetAsyncKeyState(vk_code) & 0x8000) ? 1 : 0)

then in your prog, just go:

if (KEY_DOWN(VK_RIGHT)
{
// do whatever
}

Hope that helps
Well, yes, the virtual key codes would work for a windows environment, as stated above.

You could also use DirectInput.

But, when it gets down to the nitty-gritty, I believe that you could also test for those keys using their ASCII values, which are 028 through 031.

I think that these are correct:

028 = UP ARROW
029 = DOWN ARROW
030 = RIGHT ARROW
031 = LEFT ARROW

Of course, you might want to double-check those.

- Goblin
"In order to understand the full depth of mankind, you must first seperate the word into its component parts: 'mank' and 'ind'."
- The Goblin (madgob@aol.com)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement