Books/Novels for games

Started by
4 comments, last by Paul Cunningham 23 years, 9 months ago
This relates to the other thread "Whats wrong with Walk-Throughs". I''m kind of hung up on the idea that we should have books being written for games. Especially games that are strong in theme and plot. There are a lot of good RTS''s and RPG''s that have come out that could make very good books. My other thoughts, which are a little presumptuous are that books can act as a quasi-walk-through for games. This would also be a good avenue for monetary gains by developers. I love Game Design and it loves me back. Our Goal is "Fun"!
Advertisement
My first and last reminder that this thread exists :-)

I love Game Design and it loves me back.

Our Goal is "Fun"!
Not a bad idea....
I was thinking along the lines of having the "story" programmed into the system using a very human-readable syntax. The step from there to an actual novel is not very great, and might indeed be a very good economical venture.

Give me one more medicated peaceful moment.
~ (V)^|) |<é!t|-| ~
ERROR: Your beta-version of Life1.0 has expired. Please upgrade to the full version. All important social functions will be disabled from now on.
It's only funny 'till someone gets hurt.And then it's just hilarious.Unless it's you.
hard to tell.. lol. stephen king has books on CD now.. so?
I think it''d be a pretty good thing if done right. i''m not sure on incorporating it into the game or not.

I know with my MMORPG, we''ve got a story for the history. We''re considering making an actual book of the game, or book series, rather. It''ll begin with the history of the lands and kind of bring things up to date. There won''t be a nessicarily main character, but books written about the lives of people within the game. Say we have a quest, and someone does the quest all alone, and goes through great hardship.. well, that''s a book to me My girlfriend and i are both good at writing. Actually, i''m like a god of creative writing and she''s better at editing and refining But we do plan on making books about the game. Not only does it draw more people to the game and give a plot for people to follow up to this point, but it gives extra revenue from people in game already who buy the books

J
doing books based on games is an okay idea, but the opposite isn''t necessarily...movie licenses rarely work out, and so book licenses probably wouldn''t either...

I''ve actually thought about going through and trying to develop a novel based on an FF game (just for my own amusement, not for sale or anything) but I haven''t ever done it. Writing books as a quasi-walkthru is almost like my idea of developing the walkthrough before the game--it gives you a chance to flesh out your ideas, and if you have a lot of description in them, you can even work out general ideas for the locales, backgrounds, characters, and other art for your graphics development team.

WNDCLASSEX Reality;......Reality.lpfnWndProc=ComputerGames;......RegisterClassEx(&Reality);Unable to register Reality...what's wrong?---------Dan Uptonhttp://0to1.orghttp://www20.brinkster.com/draqza
quote:Original post by Niphty

hard to tell.. lol. stephen king has books on CD now.. so?
I think it''d be a pretty good thing if done right. i''m not sure on incorporating it into the game or not.

I know with my MMORPG, we''ve got a story for the history. We''re considering making an actual book of the game, or book series, rather. It''ll begin with the history of the lands and kind of bring things up to date. There won''t be a nessicarily main character, but books written about the lives of people within the game. Say we have a quest, and someone does the quest all alone, and goes through great hardship.. well, that''s a book to me My girlfriend and i are both good at writing. Actually, i''m like a god of creative writing and she''s better at editing and refining But we do plan on making books about the game. Not only does it draw more people to the game and give a plot for people to follow up to this point, but it gives extra revenue from people in game already who buy the books

J

Is that a hook or a "J"? :-) umm, so your mmorpg is very heavy in story and plot. Is there any well known stories similar to it that you would care to hint me at without giving away too much :-).

I love Game Design and it loves me back.

Our Goal is "Fun"!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement