Creating a Role

Started by
22 comments, last by Paul Cunningham 23 years, 9 months ago
Maybe you need a distraction to stop them from being so crazed? Or a good concequence.... they whack a rabbit and skin it. The other rabbits hoard them before they know what is happening and get mauled to death... serve the crazy punk right!

-Chris Bennett ("Insanity" of Dwarfsoft)

Check our site:
http://www.crosswinds.net/~dwarfsoft/
Check out our NPC AI Mailing List :
http://www.egroups.com/group/NPCAI/
made due to popular demand here at GDNet :)
Advertisement
quote: By ahw

If there is one thing Life thaught me in the recent years, it's that you CAN't change people ...

But you can educate them.
My argument is, is that we (people) change everyday whether you like it or not.

A lot of people do differing things for many different reasons (a friend told them this was fun etc).

One of the main problems i see with getting people into role-playing is mindset. This can make it very difficult as a game designer. There are a lot of people out there hoping or interesting in seeing a CRPG that truely carries roleplaying themes and game game structures. These people would probably have the best mindset that would adapt to "enjoying" role playing on a computer game very easily. Were as (IMHO) i believe that there is also a lot of people who "might" slowly drift over towards games that carried more roleplaying elements in a game.

quote:by MadKeithV

Possibly, indeed...
but shouldn't they be displayed by the NPCs? ( I'm still talking single-player only ).
If they aren't displayed by the NPCs in some way, either graphically or through text, you are not really interacting with it.

You won't find me disagreeing with displaying it (Role) Vocally by the NPC's

quote:
However, before you go graphical, go text first. I think text-based is the best way to try out ideas, after all, it seems to work in books!

Another thing to keep in mind is that "kissing ass" may actually anger some NPCs if they are programmed in a way that is detailed enough. The 'brave warrior mayor'( aka moderator ) of the town may find you a wimp if you do not oppose his views, and decide not to give you the information you need to progress along your sacred quest.

I think the key word here is "Intuition". Bringing intuition into a game to promote roleplaying could very well be one of the missing holy tools we've forgotten?!

I love Game Design and it loves me back.

Our Goal is "Fun"!

Edited by - Paul Cunningham on July 23, 2000 2:55:11 AM
I feel all these threads are convolving to a single unified theory, but I can''t see the unified theory yet

Paul, I''m not sure what you mean by "intuition" yet...
You''ll have to explain it more.

However, I DO have an interesting thought on The Player, Emotion, and The World.
In which kind of display are you most immersed?

First-Person perspective. You see the world through your own eyes, you are there. This is the world the player character is seeing. If you feel an emotion, you do not see it displayed, it doesn''t have to be. It''s just there, in your actions, and the reactions of the people around you.

Note, that I did NOT say First-Person perspective GRAPHICS. You can have books and stories written in the first person. Doing it this way makes a lot of difference. You do not have the responsability for displaying emotion in any way - the player has the responsability for feeling it, and we have the responsability (as game designers) to evoke it...

And I''ve just shot down my own idea of a graphics engine for an RPG, I hope you realise that was a big step for me

Give me one more medicated peaceful moment.
~ (V)^|) |<é!t|-| ~
ERROR: Your beta-version of Life1.0 has expired. Please upgrade to the full version. All important social functions will be disabled from now on.
It's only funny 'till someone gets hurt.And then it's just hilarious.Unless it's you.
In response to my comment about using intuition.

There''s two ways a player can make smart progress in game. One is through the use of experience and knowledge and the other is about using intuition.

When you''re relying on knowledge to play through a game then this knowledge has to come from somewhere (the game design, story etc). But if a game is to support and promote role playing then it''s very difficult to produce all the information/knowledge for the various players roles that they may wish to play. A player should be encouraged to use there intuition in order for them to understand there role and how to play it out.

So to briefly wrap up my thoughts here, a game would probably have to support and promote intuition in order to get more of the role playing enjoyment into it.

I love Game Design and it loves me back.

Our Goal is "Fun"!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement