Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Weather Engine using an FSM

This topic is 6351 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey guys, I''m writing a generic game engine using OpenGL, and I need to know how I can incorporate a weather engine into it. I''ve seen one done before using a finite state machine, and I was wondering if people have done this sort of thing before. I''ve already coded a particle engine that produces realistic-looking rain and snow. I guess some of the states would be: Fine Cloudy Raining (+ Cloudy) Lightning (+ Cloudy + Raining) Snowing (+ Cloudy) I suppose these states would be calculated based on the current state, a percentage chance of changing to each of the other states, and what time of year it was (ie. it wouldn''t be snowing in summer unless it was the polar regions or something)... Samah

Guest Anonymous Poster
I hear lots about finite statement machines in AI stuff. I have a basic idea of what they are (like states and rules to change between them) but could someone direct me to some good readings on the web about FSMs, variations on the basic theme, example applications, etc.

Thanks,
Cadet Random

quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster

I hear lots about finite statement machines in AI stuff. I have a basic idea of what they are (like states and rules to change between them) but could someone direct me to some good readings on the web about FSMs, variations on the basic theme, example applications, etc.

Thanks,
Cadet Random

In a newly released book, called Game Programming Gems published by Charles River Media, and available at SIGGRAPH this year, I wrote a chapter entitled "A Generic Finite State Machine in C++" that contains a plain-english description of finite state machines, and a game example and source code for building a generic FSM in C++.

As to the Game Programming Gems book itself. It contains chapters on graphics, sound/music, AI and other game programming related topics, assembled with sample code, from contributions made by a number of game development professionals.

Finally, if you search the web (yahoo, alta vista, etc.) on "finite state machines" you will find a number of pages that provide descriptions, some sample code and overviews of finite state machines.

Eric

Some years ago i played some board RPG. In one of those books were three to four tables handling random weather. It was really detailed and every factor like temperature and wind... was interconnected.
Perhaps you can find one of those tables. I guess "Rolemaster" would be a start...
After finding those, I would implement it as a FSM.

slavomir

quote:
Original post by Geta

[quote] Original post by Anonymous Poster

Thanks,
Cadet Random

In a newly released book, called Game Programming Gems published by Charles River Media, and available at SIGGRAPH this year, I wrote a chapter entitled "A Generic Finite State Machine in C++" that contains a plain-english description of finite state machines, and a game example and source code for building a generic FSM in C++.

Eric

As somebody who also has a chapter in the book (on flocking), and as somebody who was fortunate enough to read Eric''s chapter early in the process, I''d just like to add that it''s a pretty good writeup of FSMs.

Ferretman

ferretman@gameai.com
http://www.gameai.com
From the High Mountains of Colorado