Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bsp always faster?

This topic is 6360 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi Is Bsp-tree based rendering always faster than z-buffer-based rendering on the new graphic cards? I think the z-buffer is hardware accelerated (im not sure at all) and it will probably faster than usin BSP-trees (if u dont draw stuff that u cant see)

you are correct about the z-buffer - it is hardware acceld.
however that just means it knows what to render (ie: what object is to be drawn in each pixel) however it still has to process all the data... bsp trees are used to calculate (i believe, i''m new to this too) which areas of the scene are visible before sending all the stuff to the card/opengl...
by figuring what is visible before processing the whole scene it saves a load of time off the card..
the z-buffer doesn''t know not to do all the math on an object if it''s not visible (covered by other face/object)
-mike

ps. sorry about drawn out message :}

well if what youre wanting to do is an indoor scene than bsp are faster ( lots of objects obscuring other objects) . when u do a z buffer test the card still has to transform the vertexs then it tests to see if they''re in front of the whats already in the buffer and if so it draws them.

hmm
the problem is ... i dont know "how much" i should use the bsp-splitting-routine ...

at the moment i really use EVERY polygon i have as split plane --> i get huge data (alot more than i would have without bsp cause of polygon splitting) ... so its slower for me ...