Movies in games

Started by
17 comments, last by Jerec 23 years, 9 months ago
I''ve serched around and I found some information on using DirectShow, but I can''t find an SDK or anything... I need the dshow.h and dshow.lib files... has anyone seen a DirectShow SDK out there?

Jerec
CM Software
JerecCM Software"Oro?"
Advertisement
Hey Anonymous bitch, I think he meant someone should post the code to play a video with sound up on gamedev, not an actual video dumbass.

DDDUUURRRRR

ByteMe95::~ByteMe95()
ByteMe95::~ByteMe95()My S(h)ite
DDNewbie - hell yeah! If you've got an AVI player then I for one would be interested in seeing it (Although it probably wont run under NT right? - DirectX stuff tends not to)

Also, Julio, I cant seem to find the freeware library you're talking about, you dont have the url do you?

Edited by - Dr_Evil on July 19, 2000 10:51:34 AM
Hrm, is DirectShow part of the DirectX SDK, or the DirectMedia SDK? I''m inclined to think DirectMedia. If that''s the case, you can get it by ordering the DirectX SDK CD, (10$ or something) or you can see if you can find the SDK Installer on Microsoft''s Site - it lets you choose which SDKs you want to download from a selection. It''s sorta an SDK download tool. Anyhow, I''ve heard the DirectMedia SDK is on there (the Installer) but I KNOW it''s not available for download at msdn.microsoft.com/directx

Clay
OK, here goes ... DirectShow is a part of the DirectMedia SDK, which used to be distributed with the DirectX 7 SDK. But, (unfortunately) this isn''t the case anymore. You have to order the CD from Microsoft to get the DirectMedia SDK.

Dr_Evil: If the AVI-player is coded with DirectShow (without DDraw) and you have MediaPlayer2 or higher, it should work . DirectShow is just an interface to the video codecs installed on your machine, so if MPlayer can play it, DirectShow will also do it (even under NT).

MK42
Hi,

Dr_Evil:
I'm sorry to say that I don't think it will run on winNT as it uses DX > 3. But you might fix it quite easily. I think you only have to change all DX>3 specific functions to DX3 ones.

I can't possibly fix it before weekend, as I'm working (as a gameprogrammer).
Shall I post it here or email you?

Btw, how long posts are you allowed to post here?

PS. I noticed that MK42 just posted. He may have right, the AVI-player uses Dshow-stuff but I drew the images to a ddraw-surface and therefore I don't think the AVI-player can be used under NT without some minor changes.

/Mankind gave birth to God.

Edited by - DDnewbie on July 20, 2000 4:00:19 AM
/Mankind gave birth to God.
Direct show didnt come around till dx5 or dx6 I belive, I havent tried it with NT but it works with 2K, although the two use differnt dx versions

Im Always Bored
--Bordem
Im Always Bored--Bordem ICQ: 76947930
Thanks for replying guys, yes, from a few investigations, it seems that you cant download the latest version of directmedia (God knows why), but I actually found exactly what I wanted in the MSVC++ help file believe it or not. There is source in there to load and play an avi/mpg file using dx3. All of the files that it uses are installed by default with MSVC++ anyway, so all you have to do is copy and paste a bit of code, include some libs and you''re away. Just search for "Play a Movie in a Window Using DirectDrawEx and Multimedia Streaming" in the help. Its actually dead easy really, theres also code for doing it in MFC, VB and various other methods too.
You can display your AVI movie with DirectShow, but what is that going
to accomplish? The computer than your program runs on needs to have
DirectShow media components installed in the first place, and since
most people don''t have it anyway, it will fail horribly.

Matt

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement