Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AVI to MPEG-II

This topic is 6356 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

This isn''t a programming question, but I imagine someone here knows the answer. What is the compression ratio of a AVI file to MPEG-II? I know it will change based on the data being converted, but what is the average? Let''s say I have an AVI file that is 3.5GB, how large would it be as a MPEG? -> Briar LoDeran <-

Hard to say. It depends on the Codec being used. Microsoft introduced an AVI codec that is extremely good. As I understand it, a lot of people are using it to create ''CD/R sized'' rips of movies. A full length movie in under 650 megs.

I am quite sure that MPEG and AVI have numerous codecs and each will yield different results. I don''t know where any full comparisons could be found, though.

Here is one I found.. Not much data though..
http://www.uwsp.edu/it/train/train/online/video/videostat.htm

The best way to find out is to get software that will encode a clip to whatever codec''s you have installed on your computer. Save to each type and compare. It''s usually a trade-off of quality -vs- size. Hard to say if AVI or MPEG does a better job.

// CHRIS