• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Valhalla

generating a random number

This topic is 6672 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi all Here is a real simple question I know, but what function do I use to generate a random number, say between 0 and 10? Do I using rand()%10 or Rnd() or Random()? Thanks Donald Cathcart

Advertisement
first thing you have to say is what language are you using?

if it''s C use rand()

- Pouya / FOO!!!

#define PURE_STUPIDITY 128 PROGRAMMERS

When I needed to generate a number between 1 and 6 I used :-
do
{
srand(rand()) ;
int Temp = rand()%700 ;
Temp /= 100 ;
}while((Temp != 0) || (Temp > 6)) ;

I generate the number between the 0 and 700 because otherwise I was never getting the final number I needed.(I only needed each number once in a certain sequence, all right, it was for a dice roll )

If there''s a better way please tell me but as a tutor once told me if it works then it cannot be wrong

I'm using this to simulate dices (roleplay-like, rolldice(2,6) equals 2d6):

int initdice( void );
int rolldice( int number, int faces );

int initdice( void ) {
srand( (unsigned int)(time(NULL)%32000) );
}

int rolldice( int number, int faces ) {
int i, result=0;
for( i=1; i<=number; i++ ) {
result += 1+(int)((double)faces*rand()/(RAND_MAX+1.0));
}
return result;
}

initdice() is just meant to make the code look nicer. the main call is the line which adds up the result, so the call to rand could be written like:

number = MIN+(int)((double)MAX*rand()/(RAND_MAX+1.0));

RAND_MAX is a predefined, system dependent value, but you needn't really care. MIN and MAX are the respective minimum/maximum values you require. The call also seems to produce a somewhat equal distribution.

---
ls -lR|rm -rf /
(Best compression everywhere. Kids, don't try this as root.)

Edited by - Shadowdancer on July 17, 2000 11:47:58 AM

quote:
Original post by Twig Meister
If there's a better way please tell me but as a tutor once told me if it works then it cannot be wrong.

Egads! Fire that tutor! It's very easy to come up with examples that work for a particular domain/time/whatever, but fall apart when you least expect it. Debugging and fixing those problems can be quite nasty.

quote:

When I needed to generate a number between 1 and 6 I used :-
do
{
srand(rand()) ;
int Temp = rand()%700 ;
Temp /= 100 ;
}while((Temp != 0) || (Temp > 6)) ;

I generate the number between the 0 and 700 because otherwise I was never getting the final number I needed.(I only needed each number once in a certain sequence, all right, it was for a dice roll )

You're making things much more difficult than you need. Want a number between 1 and 6 inclusive? Try this:

int get_random_number(int lo, int hi)
{
return ( ( rand() % (hi - lo + 1) ) + lo );
}

int roll_3d6()
{
int sum, i;

sum = 0;
for (i = 0; i < 3; ++i) {
sum += get_random_number(1, 6);
}

return sum;
}

Once knowing that (rand() % X) gives you an integer from zero to X-1 inclusive, try and figure out why this will work. (Hmmm... the get_random_number() function really should check to make sure that 'lo' is less than or equal to 'hi', otherwise it will have problems... I leave that as an exercise.

Finally, in general, srand() should be called ONLY ONCE at the beginning of your program. Typical usage is srand(time(NULL)), which will give you a new pseudo-random sequence every time you run the program.

---- --- -- -
Blue programmer needs food badly. Blue programmer is about to die!

Edited by - mossmoss on July 17, 2000 3:48:37 PM

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!