Tri-Linear Mip-Mapping and OpenGL

Started by
6 comments, last by Esap1 23 years, 9 months ago
Does OpenGL support Tri-Linear Mip-Mapping? And HOW do you use it(or enable it)? Thanks for the help, later,
Advertisement
You mean trilinear filtering ??
This name comes from poor marketing guys.

It''s called (true name) LINEAR_MIPMAP_LINEAR using OpenGL.

Have a look @ the OpenGL red book, you''ll find anything you need in it.
Or check NeHe''s code, I do think there must be a trilinear filter used in one of his tutorials.

-* So many things to do, so little time to spend. *-
-* So many things to do, so little time to spend. *-
Doesnt it blend the two cloeses Mip Maps togather?
Would this be TriLinear Filtering?
    glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D, texture[id]);		glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_MAG_FILTER, GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_LINEAR);		glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_MIN_FILTER, GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_LINEAR);		gluBuild2DMipmaps(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_RGB, TextureImage[0]->sizeX, TextureImage[0]->sizeY, GL_RGB, GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE, TextureImage[0]->data);    

I sure hope not, because it V E R Y apparent where each mip maps starts and ends, it doesnt look very good. Ive Read the Nehe, Tutorials, But I dont see where he uses TriLinear Filtering, Maybe I dont know what Im looking for, Please help, thanks,
Yes, trilinear filtering interpolates between mipmap levels. This is done to blend out the edges so you don''t see the level changes as much.
Does the code I posted do that, because it doesnt seem to?????
Well GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_LINEAR does smooth the transition from mipmap level to mipmap level. You'll still see blurry boundaries in situations where the texture map is highly anisotropic.

Look at:

http://www.sgi.com/software/performer/brew/anisotropic.html

for an explanation of anisotropic filtering.

Paul.

Edited by - Pauly on July 17, 2000 8:42:16 PM
Paul Grovespauls opengl page
Mipmaps can only be used with the MIN filter. If you try to use GL_LINEAR_MIMAP_LINEAR with the MAG filter, i believe you''ll get a wrong result. You should use a simple GL_LINEAR filter.

Y.
Actually it works the way I posted, But what is the MIN filter and the MAG filter, whats the difference?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement