lil newbie with lil question

Started by
5 comments, last by Boneman 23 years, 9 months ago
Hi there. I''m new to this board and to game programming. If there are any major no-no''s on this board, please tell me in advance My question (may be stupid, but I''m a newbie, so what? ): Where can I get a C/C++ compiler that is able to compile Win32 programs. I am so sick of programming stuff that only works with DOS. Is there any free compiler that can do so? The other side is overcrowded The dead will have nowhere to go
The other side is overcrowdedThe dead will have nowhere to go
Advertisement
You can get borland´s from some magazines and microsof from some books. Both aren´t most deluxe versions but work.
I found Latest C/c++ no builder from Pcplus magazine.
Go to www.borland.com I think. You can get their command line compiler. It might be a pain to use, but it will definately make Win32 programs.
Oh, and MSVC++ 6 Academic Edition comes with Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus, which is a great game programming book. You might want to learn about Windows programming before games though. That's probably the best thing to do.

Edited by - Qoy on July 17, 2000 3:41:37 AM
Hmm, problem is, I live in Germany, so your sources aren''t available for me. Isn''t there a way to download a compiler?

Qoy: Question about that command line compiler: How does it work? Do I have to write the source with Notepad and then use the compiler to compile it?

Are there any differences between DOS and Win32 programming? I''m a complete newbie concerning that matter. Help is appreciated.
The other side is overcrowdedThe dead will have nowhere to go
there''s a freeware compiler called Lcc-Win32. it''s free and can compile OpenGL and DirectX code. also you could try Mingw32, or Cygwin. all free.

JoeMont001@aol.com www.polarisoft.n3.net
My HomepageSome shoot to kill, others shoot to mame. I say clear the chamber and let the lord decide. - Reno 911
For a free Win32 compiler, Bloodshed Dev C++ is probably your best bet. You''ll also find links to other compilers in our Links section.
Hey. Yeah, if you use the command line compiler then you have to use a seperate editor and then compile the code outside that. But Dev-C++ is really cool, Rhino is right. That is, assuming it will compile Win32 code... (I don''t know which compiler it uses, or if it uses one Bloodshed wrote themselves).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement