A Long Time Ago...

Started by
12 comments, last by Freakshow 23 years, 9 months ago
Sorry, I had to beat Darkmage139 to it. So. You''d think that a whole heap of RPGs are set in the past, huh? WRONG! Name me one! That''s right. You may have lost your grip on the difference between fantasy and reality. Let me tell you, at no point in human history did our varied cultures look anything like your average "medieval" RPG. But, onto the brain food: How about The victorian Era? I happen to know of at least ONE game that had the balls to go here. How ''bout a game during the Depression? An interactive Great Gatsby? Pre Historic? Naw, that''s pretty crappy. Revolutionary? Not really. Ok, so they''re all fairly crappy ideas. But any one of these COULD be pulled off right if they had a really good designer. DON''T LOOK AT ME! Here''s the kicker though. An ACTUAL medeival RPG. You heard me. Try as hard as you can to make it like it really was. Watch the havoc ensue, as every Game developer every sh!ts his pants at the idea of no monsters. The best part is... there''s so much variation! Setting your game in the Crusades will be entirely different than setting it in Norse lands. Hell, even setting it during the crusades in Romania will be completely different from during the crusades back in germany/italy/france/britain! Whatever. Darkmage139, I tried... ===== Are you aware that the people who bring you television actually refer to it openly as "programming?"
=====Are you aware that the people who bring you television actually refer to it openly as "programming?"
Advertisement
You say that there woud be no monsters in a truly midevil game?
hmm, if i rember correctly though in midevil times they had "beasts" and as no one has clasified them i guess they would be called monsters, BTW how do you know that their wern''t any monsters...... we are killing some dozen species a day....amby there were goblins......(leper colonies) etc....that''s afar stretch but you see my point.

And travelling in the dark ages was hardly any fun BTW, why do you think they called it the dark ages

bandits, running into a family feud, or hungry mercinaries, as wll as the occasionally non domesticated and very hungy pack of wolves, or lions, etc.

the only part aobut midevil RPG''s that i don''t like BT is that mondo suprem hyper lazer blaster ray gun that was shoot from a meteor that whized by becaue the inhabitants of that meteor are omnipresent and can fortell that a dister is about to happen, beause they used to use our world as a prison for their bad people!

hehe running on and on ain''t I.... my luch is done so....

PheonixCross
__________________________¡PheonixCross¡"If it ain''t broke, you missed somethig!"
Yeah a "real" medeival RPG. That would be fun... NOT.

Imagine:

You are penniless, hungry. If your family''s farm doesn''t produce well this month, the Lord will rape your daughter and kill your wife.

If you don''t like it, TOUGH! The King will have you thrown in prison.

Yeah that sounds like a REALLY FUN GAME!
Hmmm... good try, Freakshow. But game designers seem to have something against historically accurate games. Besides, I always figured one of the joys of gaming was the realization that it was just a fantasy.

Now excuse me...

*summons Hellfire Dragon*

- DarkMage139
++++++++++++++++
I can do things, things you never knew,
I can change your world if you only knew.

I can do miracles if you want me to.
Anything is possible, I'll prove it to you.
- DarkMage139
Hey, I never said they were good ideas... but now we know! And knowing is half the battle.

quote:
You are penniless, hungry. If your family''s farm doesn''t produce well this month, the Lord will
rape your daughter and kill your wife.

Plus, i dunno about you guys, but that sounds like a FREAKIN aWESOME start to a game. Think about where it could go from there!
=====Are you aware that the people who bring you television actually refer to it openly as "programming?"
Hey Buster, here's a thought: start as a squire instead of a serf. That'll get you started in a historically accurate postion of better-than-slave status..course, like Freakshow said, you could go places with a beginning like that.

Oops, forgot something.

DarkMage, just becuase other developers don't like historically accurate games doesn't mean it's a bad idea to make one. Hell AoE 2 was hist. accurate, and I think it worked great. Also, hist. accurate doesn't mean it can't be fantasy, because I doubt "Garrik the crusher" (a PC) actually lived.

Edited by - pacman on July 18, 2000 6:44:06 PM
-------------------------------------------The Lord will fight for you; you need only to be still.Exodus 14:14
quote:Original post by Freakshow

Hey, I never said they were good ideas... but now we know! And knowing is half the battle.

You are penniless, hungry. If your family''s farm doesn''t produce well this month, the Lord will

Plus, i dunno about you guys, but that sounds like a FREAKIN aWESOME start to a game. Think about where it could go from there!

Yeah, dramatic is the word … I dunno about you, but it reminds me of soething about a "slave that defied an Emperor" …
Gives ideas to anyone ?

AHW

quote:

Where could it possibly go from there? Option 1: you run away, leaving your wife and family behind to be killed. Go live in the forests. Eventually you either starve to death or get killed for fun by a wandering ''knight''.
Option 2: you try and rebel. Good luck fighting armed knights on horseback when chances are you own one pair of thin clothes (not much protection against a mace, is it?) and a wooden stick for a weapon. In the real world, they send the toughest guys at you first .
Option 3: You do nothing, continue on, praying for something better in the afterlife (which the priests keep telling you will only come if you continue to tithe an arm and a leg every week). Life''s a bitch, then you die.

Medieval times sucked. Nobody wants to relive them through a video game. Not only would it be pointless, it would be incredibly depressing.

-RWarden (roberte@maui.net)
Option 4: You provide the local band of blood-thirsty goblins with the plans of the Lord''s castle, that you managed to draw up on the many occasions that you saw the inside of his dungeons. With the help of a few other disgruntled commoners, you help this band sneak into the castle and murder the Lord.

After that, you''re stuck with a GOBLIN lord who''s even more of a bastard than the previous one, only this one doesn''t want to rape your daughter, but eat her

( Now I know Freakshow, you''re gonna be talking about "losing my grip on reality", but I''m sure a more "realistic" variant of this story could be found. )

Give me one more medicated peaceful moment.
~ (V)^|) |<é!t|-| ~
ERROR: Your beta-version of Life1.0 has expired. Please upgrade to the full version. All important social functions will be disabled from now on.
It's only funny 'till someone gets hurt.And then it's just hilarious.Unless it's you.
who wants a grip on reality I say Im better off without it.

Im Always Bored
--Bordem
Im Always Bored--Bordem ICQ: 76947930

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement