3D Pong Collision

Started by
46 comments, last by MeshMan 20 years, 4 months ago
And this is one of the simplest collision detection & response algorithm...

Everything is better with Metal.

Advertisement
Build me a wall.
WTF is a brick?
That hard thing.
Why is it hard?
So its strong.
Why does it have to be strong?
Just build the friggin wall!
It fell down when the wind blew...now what?

Remind you of anyone?
"Mathematics for 3D Game Programming and Computer Graphics 2nd edition"

I''ve just ordered it. For reference and completion, I never had a maths book, and this looks like by far the best all-rounder. And it''s not particularly expensive either.

Ok, ive just ordered it...

I dont have a problem understanding how collision reponses happen and what the effects are, i start struggling when i hear ''product this dot that plane this reflect that trace this normalize that'', its stuff ive never heard of even in school (nd i was in top classes for math!).

Right now, im drawing all your diagrams out on paper, but im also going to go for a college evening course class for math, that should help.
you need solid foundations before building a wall. Vector maths, matrices, linear algebra, ect... is the minimum to get anywhere with physics. But once you get the basics nailed, you can do virtually anything.

Right.

So it should seem logical that i should begin by developing a vector class and ''understanding'' what a cross-product and dot-product is and its applicants (and it wouldnt hurt me learning Trig again since ive always wondered what the cos/sin/tan functions REALLY do).
it''s so second nature to me now, I struggle to explain it in simple terms because it is SIMPLE. it cannot get simpler than a dot product and a plane. sorry

Hey no worries,

Ill get there, after all, i got a 3D engine i wrote thats took me 2 years with a vector and matrix lib (even tho i dont understand how i wrote it). Hard to beleive eh? :D

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement