Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Newbie asks more experienced people: Is this possible?

This topic is 5117 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi I am a computer enthusiast since four or five years ago, when I got my first computer, time in which I learned a little bit about everything I could related to computers, like programming languages, operating systems, networks and all that stuff. Going down that route automatically led me to take a course in Systems Analysis.I didn''t take computer science, but I kinda plan to after I finish Systems Analysis. I have played games for as long as I can remember, since the ATARI 2600, passing through NES, Master System, SNES, PSX and finally PC. I played games my whole life.Just love it. Anyway I am on the 4th year of my course, which requires me to make a final project, and you can imagine that my choice was to make a game.There was when I encountered some problems. Being new to game programming, I don''t know exactly how it all works.I have a regular C/C++ knowledge (although a bit rusty, but i''ll oil it back if necessary), a little Python, a little Java, a little VB and a little Delphi(Pascal).I am not mathematically inclined also, think I should mention that. Finally we come to the questions, is it possible to make a regular FPS game, in one year? Remeber I am not talking about DOOM here...Just one very basic first person shooter with 4 or 5 levels. Me and my colleague are the only ones on the team right now.We were thinking of taking some free models off the net, the textures also and create the map ourselves using tools like Hammer or QuarK and make a reproduction of some parts of our university.Maybe hire a friend artist if the need be. Are DarkBASIC or BlitzBASIC any good? I mean, they cut development time very much? The end results are acceptable, graphics wise, speed wise and such? Is it an impossible thing to make a FPS using C++ and some 3d engine in one year? And with Blitz or Dark BASIC is it possible? Overall I just wanted some perspectives from you more experienced people, because I don''t want to embark on this journey and don''t be able to complete it... What are you suggestions? What should I use? Where should I begin? Any tips, suggestions and / or advice will be extremely useful. Thank you for your time and for reading this.

It really depends on how much work you want to do yourself. Is it possible to make an FPS in a year, in your spare time, starting with very little programming knowledge? Probably. It won''t be that good, tho.

On the other hand, if you use a commonly available engine such as the Torque Engine, or a RGD tool such as 3D Game Studio, you''ll be able to make a decent game in much less time than that.

"Sneftel is correct, if rather vulgar." --Flarelocke

I would do most of the work (and I mean 80% or more) myself.
As I said I am doing this with my friend, but he has a job...I don''t...So my spare time is actually...The whole day...hehehe
The ideia is to go from arts to music all by ourselves and using free stuff available on the net...

And I was thinking on using a engine like Torque or Crystal Space or something like that...Would this cut down the math a little?
When you use some 3D engine, what do you need to program? The AI? The sound? The interface? What else?

Last: Do you have any good engines to recommend?

Thanks for your reply Sneftel!

I wouldn''t use DarkBASIC, it''s very buggy and the syntax is horrible (I know, I used to use it).

BlitzBASIC is excellent. You won''t get the same performance as you would in C++/Direct3D (because the engine is very general rather than being optimised for a specific game). Also you can''t have all the latest bells-and-whistles like shaders (yet).

However, it''s a LOT faster to learn and use than C++. You could make a pretty decent FPS in about a week, once you''ve learned the language.

Anyway, I strongly advise you to start with Blitz3D. You''ll also be able to learn Direct3D a whole lot more easily once you''ve used Blitz3D for a while.

Another Life!

Thanks...But the syntax for Blitz3D isn''t kinda like the one in DarkBASIC? I mean they both are BASIC...Isn''t just a matter of "less ugly one"? Because basic sucks anyway...It''s like they say, start with BASIC and you will have problems going to C++, but start with C++ and it will be almost impossible to go to BASIC...I can hold a candle to the above statement because recently I had to use VB to deliver a university project in one week because we had 3 months to do it with Java and were careless about it...

Anyway, it''s two different kinds of BASIC?

There ain''t no similar tool which has a more C/C++ like syntax and makes things easy at the same time, like Blitz3D and DarkBASIC?

if you are a programmer you can pick up any language in a few weeks, after programming c++ for 6 moths (comp science 110 and subsequent months) i was able to teach myself basic easily, taught myself Ti BASIC without any sort of tutorial, simply trial and error, its all theory, and a quarter writing :-D

Nope. The BlitzBASIC language is NOTHING like DarkBASIC. Blitz3D is actually more like a hybrid of BASIC and C. It''s very consistent and sensibly done.

I found C++ EXTREMELY EASY to learn after learning Blitz3D.

And as for VisualBASIC, well, it''s not quite as ugly as DarkBASIC, but it''s pretty nasty in my opinion.

So, yes, I strongly advise using Blitz3D to begin with. It''ll make learning C++/Windows/OpenGL or Direct3D a whole lot easier - I speak from experience.

Another Life!