Math books for beginners

Started by
5 comments, last by Verd 20 years, 4 months ago
Just wondering if you guys have any recomendations for any really great calculus books or trig books for an extreme newbie. - i have checked out the book section here and on other sites, but it is still hard to find something really good. [edited by - verd on December 12, 2003 6:13:44 PM]
Advertisement
When I was teaching myself mathematics (no qualifications for Uni, no money for evening classes), I went to my local library and borrowed what looked useful and, if it was, I''d then buy a secondhand copy of it or one of the books in the ''Further Reading'' list.

For Calculus, I relied heavily upon Teach Yourself Calculus, by By Hugh Neill, pub by McGraw-Hill and later went on to Teach Yourself Advanced Calculus, same publisher.

These are ideal for self-reading and I kept my copy for years until the cat decided it tasted nice and then peed on the leftovers.

Check it out at Amazon. It''s still available, I believe.

I wish you good luck on what I hope will be a long journey of discovery.

Stevie

Don''t follow me, I''m lost.
StevieDon't follow me, I'm lost.
If you want more of an advanced introduction try
Calculus by Michael Spivak.

Its a great book.

srcarrel at uwaterloo dot ca
The best calculus book is Thomas'' Calculus...hands down...check the reviews at Amazon if you don''t believe me...

Human beings, by changing the inner attitudes of their minds, can change the outer aspects of their lives.

William James (1842 - 1910)
"We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." -Francois de La Rochefoucauld (1613 - 1680). | My blog
Thanks a lot people
Calculus Made Easy is supposed to be an awesome book. And it''s cheap, ~$20 bucks for a ~300 page hardback calculus book. Mine''s in the mail at the moment. :D
It's time for a revolution I say! A revolution!
If you are looking for Calculus Lite books:

Buy:

How To Ace Calculus

Calculus Made Easy

The Idiots Guide to Calculus

All three of these have a surprising amount of humor.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement