Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

a simple C++ program under Linux - wont compile wit gcc but will with g++...

This topic is 5114 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

So I''ve been playing with Linux lately and I tried to do a small program, a typical "hello world". As It turns out, it wont compile if I use other functions than main!!!
#include <stdio.h>

void zzz();

int main()
{
printf("Hello World\n");
zzz();
return 0;
}

void zzz()
{
printf("Hi\n");
}
I get the following error:
test.cpp:15:2: warning: no newline at end of file
/tmp/ccRV3g52.o(.eh_frame+0x11): undefined reference to `__gxx_personality_v0''
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
if I quote the zzz(); line it will compile and run fine... I complie it with GCC and if I use G++ instead, it will compile fine... not that I can''t use G++, I''m just curious what''s the problem...?

I''m not gonna start another thread so attatch another problem...

as I browsed through the libraries I failed to find itoa function (or equivalent) so I tried to make my own ITOA ... it compiles but doesn''t work quite as I want it to:

#include <stdio.h>

void itoa(int, char*);

main()
{
int num;
char cnum[10];

printf("Gimme a number \n");
scanf("%d", &num);
itoa(num,cnum);
printf("The number is:");
printf(" %c!", cnum);
}

void itoa(int val,char* cval)
{
printf("Transforming... \n");
cval[0]=''0'';
int y=0;

for(int x;x<val;x++)
{
y=0;
while(cval[y]==''9'')
{
cval[y]=''0'';
y++;
}
switch(cval[y])
{
case ''0'': cval[y]= ''1''; break;
case ''1'': cval[y]= ''2''; break;
case ''2'': cval[y]= ''3''; break;
case ''3'': cval[y]= ''4''; break;
case ''4'': cval[y]= ''5''; break;
case ''5'': cval[y]= ''6''; break;
case ''6'': cval[y]= ''7''; break;
case ''7'': cval[y]= ''8''; break;
case ''8'': cval[y]= ''9''; break;
}
}
printf("Done Transforming... \n");
return;
}

I get:

Gimme a number
Transforming...
Done Transforming...

Why wont it display the printf AFTER I called the function...? funny thing is, if I put \n in that printf just in front of the string, it will actually go to a new line in the output!!!

I didn''t know programming under linux would be that different o.0

quote:
Original post by Koobazaur
not that I can''t use G++, I''m just curious what''s the problem...?

You named the source file with a C++ extension. gcc assumes you want to treat it as a C++ file instead of a C file, but gcc doesn''t automatically do all the "C++ things" that g++ would. Rename it to "test.c" (for example) and it''ll work.

quote:
Original post by Koobazaur
as I browsed through the libraries I failed to find itoa function (or equivalent) so I tried to make my own ITOA ...

There is no itoa function as part of the standard C runtime. Any implementations that provide it are just going out of their way. The implementations of it are horrible-by-design anyway.

I''m too lazy to check your code at the moment, so I''ll show you how to properly convert an integer to a string using a fixed size buffer and the standard C library:

#include <string.h>

/* ... */

int num = 12345;
char str[32];

snprintf(str, sizeof(str), "%d", num);

/* Being a bit over-cautious won''t hurt anything: */
str[sizeof(str)/sizeof(str[0]) - 1] = ''\0'';

You can have a dynamic buffer that isn''t oversized using C99 standard compliant snprintf implementations. Unfortunately, many standard libraries are C99 compliant at all and making such assumptions would prove to be non-portable.

The reason it didn''t display your results is that your print format was incorrect. You specified a single character (%c), but you handed a character pointer (cnum). So, you passed a pointer and told it to treat it as a character. Not good. You should have specified %s to print the string.

quote:
Original post by Dave Hunt
The reason it didn''t display your results is that your print format was incorrect. You specified a single character (%c), but you handed a character pointer (cnum). So, you passed a pointer and told it to treat it as a character. Not good. You should have specified %s to print the string.

oh... my... god... how did I miss THAT??? DUH!!!

Thanks for help anyway people and btw Null and Void, I don''t want you to check my code to see whther or not I convert it right, I was asking why it wont display anything...