[java] java port for examples

Started by
8 comments, last by 2Fast 20 years, 4 months ago
Hi i m new in this field .. and wanted to know if java3D is better than gl4j to start with OpenGL on java platform .. and also want to know if anyone has java ports for tutorials on nehe.gamedev.net .. i got the java ports on GL4J ( it would not be a problem if you suggest me to go on to start with GL4J ) but if you people prefer Java3D then where can i get ports for tutorial on nehe.gamedev.net or any other place which has good openGL tut on Java3D ...
Advertisement
GL4Java is dead, Java3D is dead (but you may use them anyway). Have a look at this thread for other options.

[edited by - EgonOlsen on December 13, 2003 4:26:04 AM]
I''m the author of over a dozen of Nehe''s tutorials ports to JoGL, and recently I''ve been attempting to reproduce them using Xith3D
I''m already done with Lesson 37, check it out here
http://xith.org/demo/JavaCoolDude.php
Please, stop saying Java3D is dead.
31 of October: a Java3D for mac preview has been released.
14 of October: Java3D was featured in sun''s "Java tech tips"
Sun still keep it as the main and official 3D API.
...Rumors kills it.
You can also look at LWJGL.

First make it work, then make it fast. --Brian Kernighan

The problems of this world cannot possibly be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited by the obvious realities. We need men and women who can dream of things that never were. - John Fitzgerald Kennedy(35th US President)

Do not interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake. - Napolean Bonaparte
"None of us learn in a vacuum; we all stand on the shoulders of giants such as Wirth and Knuth and thousands of others. Lend your shoulders to building the future!" - Michael Abrash[JavaGaming.org][The Java Tutorial][Slick][LWJGL][LWJGL Tutorials for NeHe][LWJGL Wiki][jMonkey Engine]
well i have done c , c++ and vc++ ( not mfc ) but of all i feel comfortable with Java
so i wanted to know if there are more such wrapper available for OpenGL in Java
but as peeps here said that gl4J is dead and J3D is going to be dead ...
Even i have read that J3D is going to be replaced with something new ( i read it on Java site java.net or some other i dont remember .. but news source was definately reliable ..)
so then what should i go ahead with ...
i mean there will definately going to be a WINNER among all of them ...

JoGL and LWJGL whatelse...

are there any tutorial, examples ( i mean cool ones for starters .. ) on these ...

Till the time i think that i will go for gl4j ( cause its more like openGL )..

one more problem ..
actually i ran i few gl4j ports of nehe''s tuts ..
and found 100 percent usage of my CPU ( 1.6 GHz P4 ) when running them .. i have an onboard graphics card of 32mb ram ..
waht does that mean .. i need to get better graphics card ..
and when i get 32 mb one will that reduce the CPU usage ?

and it showed avg of 101 fps when running the examples at fullscreen
what does that mean is it good or bad ..
and meanwhile the CPU showed 100% usage
quote:Original post by 2Fast

You have 100% CPU usage because you''re running in an infinite loop for handling messages. That''s a common way to do things and I wouldn''t worry too much about it. Nothing really to do with your CPU speed or anything.
==========================================In a team, you either lead, follow or GET OUT OF THE WAY.
quote:Original post by NuffSaid
quote:Original post by 2Fast

You have 100% CPU usage because you''re running in an infinite loop for handling messages. That''s a common way to do things and I wouldn''t worry too much about it. Nothing really to do with your CPU speed or anything.

SO does that mean that if i get a 128 mb AGP card ...
that would reduce the load from my CPU ( of processing and memory for graphics wont it !) .. i guess you all might be sure thinking of me to be dumb .. but plz i wanted to know things from persons better off then me instead of idiots around me giving me their opinion ..
what about creating models to be used in animation ...
would 128 mb suffice ( like if i use MAYA or else )
Upgrading the graphics card should give you an increase in framerate (how fast things get drawn on screen), and upgrading the CPU might possibly give you an increase in framerate but you''ve got a pretty good CPU so I think the integrated graphics card is the problem. You can get a GF4 MX for pretty cheap these days, so I would suggest getting an upgrade.

An upgrade will not reduce the 100% CPU usage that you''re seeing. That''s normal when running games because of the way messages are handled in games. If you browse through the NeHe code, you''ll see a snippet of code like the following that is responsible for the 100% CPU usage

while(!done){  if(PeekMessage(&msg,NULL,0,0, PM_REMOVE)  {    //other stuff..  }}

The while(!done) is an infinite loop that will keep on running. So the only way to reduce the CPU usage is to change the loop, but it is generally not necessary (plus I don''t know how to do it )
==========================================In a team, you either lead, follow or GET OUT OF THE WAY.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement