Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Setting Restrictions on IK Joints

This topic is 5115 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, I''ve build a simple CCD inverse kinematic system. For each joint, I calculate the axis of rotation and the angle and finally convert it to a quaternion. The IK system works fine. Now I want to set restrictions on the joints, especially I want to say that for example joint A can only rotate about the x and y axis and only from -45 to +45 degress. I tested converting the quaternion to euler angles, setting the restrictions and converting them back to quaternion, but this is not always true. So my question is, how can I set restrictions to quaternions, so that rotations are limited? karlkoch

I guess it''s a tough topic. Converting to euler angles seems intuitive, but it comes with its own problems. Frankly, I don''t know myself, but I''d be very interested on reading a good answer.

Guest Anonymous Poster
That paper makes use of an algorithm based on calculation of the Jacobian which is a very common way of solving IK for any type of mechanism in 3D. Search for a paper "A solution algorithm to the inverse kinematic problem for redundant manipulators" by Lorenzo Sciavicco and Bruno Siciliano. It describes (among other things) a technique to take joint limitations into account. However it is also based on calculation of the Jacobian.
I have no experience with CCD algorithm and don''t know if joint limitations can easily be implemented.