• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cplusplus_cpp

DDLoadBitmap, cheating ??

This topic is 5360 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

is it cheating with DDLoadBitmap?? or is the DDUTIL an microsoft product?? I wan´t to work as a programmer and need to know if it is OK with ddutil.h .. And, anyone know where i can find DDUTIL ??

Advertisement
ddutil is used in some of the samples in the DirectX SDK. You don''t have to use it. But if it does the job, might as well.

well, it depends.

If you want to work as a programmer, at least know about the format of a BMP, and how to load files manually.

If you do this, and choose to use DDUTIL I don''t think thats cheating, as long as you know why it works.

DDUTIL you can find in the dx sdk.

It's not cheating... it's using an available tool. Pre-written, pre-tested, and easy to use, and free.
Do you think it's cheating when a company licences Renderware or the Quake engine?
Do you think it's cheating when you use D3D or OpenGL rather than writing pixels to screen memory?
Do you think it's cheating to use the fixed pipeline rather than writing the lights, texgen, and other things yourself in software, or as a shader?
Do you think it's cheating when you use the C++ compiler Microsoft built?
Do you think it's cheating when you use Photoshop for your bitmaps?
Do you think it's cheating when you use 3DS Max for your models and animation?
Do you think it's cheating when Character Studio is used to help your animate your 3D models?

Granted, knowing how to load at least one bitmap format COULD be useful and instructive. Would someone not hire you because you didn't know this one thing? No. Programming is a collection of many skills in many areas. Nobody knows everything. Just try to be well rounded. Don't just focus on 3D and nothing else.

[edited by - namethatnobodyelsetook on December 13, 2003 3:19:49 PM]

This is a link to a page that explains a ton of graphics file formats. (Happens to be hosted by gamedev =) )

http://www.wotsit.org/search.asp?s=graphics

I don''t think it''s cheating either, but I also think it would only take a couple hours to go through a tutorial found easily on the web about loading bmp files and write your own function. Then just keep it around for whenever you need it and you don''t need to worry about who owns it or what system it runs on or whatever.

I wasn''t going to comment on namethatnobodytook, but since he made such a "great" point, allow me to put some emphasis on mine.

quote:

Do you think it''s cheating when a company licences Renderware or the Quake engine?

Not really, but you need to learn how to use those engines.

quote:

Do you think it''s cheating when you use D3D or OpenGL rather than writing pixels to screen memory?

Hmm, d3d and ogl write pixels to screen memory? I didn''t know that. But in order to USE gl or DX, you need to learn how it works.

quote:
Do you think it''s cheating to use the fixed pipeline rather than writing the lights, texgen, and other things yourself in software, or as a shader?

OH, so those things are not part of the pipeline ?

and again, we need to learn how to make shaders, lights, and textures.

quote:

Do you think it''s cheating when you use the C++ compiler Microsoft built?

No. but its a stupid choice! Again, learning the ins and outs of the compiler and C++ before you use it.

so on and so on and so on.

quote:

Granted, knowing how to load at least one bitmap format COULD be useful and instructive.

There is only 1 bitmap (.bmp) format.

And no it''s not cheating to use 3dsmax, photoshop or whatever. These things are called "tools." You need to learn how to use them.

I am not against using DDUtils, but at least know why they works!

Man, come on now!

Why do people have to nitpick where there are no nits that need picking? Sigh.

quote:

quote:

Do you think it''s cheating when a company licences Renderware or the Quake engine?

Not really, but you need to learn how to use those engines.

...and you need to learn how to use DDUtil. You need to learn any tool. My point is that these tools will also lift a burden, just like DDUtil will. In fact, part of them will lift the same burden... but people don''t call these game developers cheaters for their choice of tools.
quote:

quote:

Do you think it''s cheating when you use D3D or OpenGL rather than writing pixels to screen memory?

Hmm, d3d and ogl write pixels to screen memory? I didn''t know that. But in order to USE gl or DX, you need to learn how it works.

Indirectly, that''s exactly what D3D and OGL end up doing in a combination of MS''s code and framework, or the OpenGL framework, the IHV''s driver working with the DX or OGL framework. The IHV also works together with the standard hardware frameworks of AGP, PCI, VGA/TV out, and more.

Pre D3D and OGL (and Glide...) your only choice was writing to that block of RAM reserved as a screen buffer. Now, far down the D3D and OGL pipes, the hardware writes pixels to it''s screen buffer.

Again, as with the last point, you need to learn the tool, but they ease your burden much more than the burden of learning the tool. I''d think that''s kinda the definition of a tool.

quote:

quote:
Do you think it''s cheating to use the fixed pipeline rather than writing the lights, texgen, and other things yourself in software, or as a shader?

OH, so those things are not part of the pipeline ?

and again, we need to learn how to make shaders, lights, and textures.

Yes, they''re part of the pipeline, I never said they weren''t. I was just taking examples of vertex shader code, or in software, that you COULD do yourself, but many people don''t. And they''re not cheating by making that choice. The fixed pipe is a tool that can be used if it suit your purpose. You''re not learning how to do lighting, or texgen, as you would using a shader, but it''s fine. Again, the fixed pipe alleviates the burden of learning how to do it all in shader code, or even designing your own chip if you want to get carried away.
quote:

quote:

Do you think it''s cheating when you use the C++ compiler Microsoft built?

No. but its a stupid choice! Again, learning the ins and outs of the compiler and C++ before you use it.

Your bias against Microsoft''s product has nothing to do with this discussion. Note that you''ll never develop an XBox game without using MSVC. Are you saying all XBox developers are being stupid?

quote:

so on and so on and so on.

So it would seem...

quote:

quote:

Granted, knowing how to load at least one bitmap format COULD be useful and instructive.

There is only 1 bitmap (.bmp) format.

Jpeg, Gif, Pcx, Targa, Png are all bitmap formats. Images were called bitmaps way back before bmp existed. Everyone with an Apple II, or C64 that remembers talking about bitmaps, raise your hand. Microsoft happened to call their bitmap... Like their word processors is called Word. That doesn''t mean nothing else is a word anymore.

quote:

And no it''s not cheating to use 3dsmax, photoshop or whatever. These things are called "tools." You need to learn how to use them.

So, um, are we in agreement? I can''t tell. You in favor of tools, but certain specific software libraries are not counted as tools for some arbitrary reason?

Dude, settle down a tad.

DX and GL do NOT write pixels to a screen, jpeg, gif, tga etc are IMAGE formats, microsofts vc6 compiler is shit, XBox games are not developed with MSVC, and I am not against using DDUtil for DX Development.

All I am saying is know what something does, and why. There is nothing wrong with using any tool , as long as you educate yourself.

I mean, think of all the people that piece together a bunch of tutorials, make a scene in 3d, and call it "their engine" without knowing what is going on.

Use any tool you want to use, but don''t use it because you don''t want to learn!

For example, at sourceforge there is an image tool called DeVil, that is way better than DDUTil. Don''t take the easy way out, learn about what is going on.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!