Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

[java] j2me game

This topic is 5111 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am programming a j2me game for a nokia 7210, the screen dimensions in pixels as far as i know are 128x128 however whenever i draw to the screen i only get 128 x 96. Does anyone know how to draw to the full height of the screen?

When Nokia phones run standard MIDP 1.0 midlets they dont give access to the full screen (e.g. 128x128 for 7210), but rather a smaller ''window'' (i.e. 128x96 for 7210).

If you stick with the MIDP 1.0 standard then your midlets will have less screen space on Nokia phones but at least they might run on other manufacturers phones too. The alternative is to use Nokia specific APIs (Nokia UI API), which has its own version of the Canvas class which gives full screen access. However using this will limit your midlet to Nokia phones, which means you will have to have multiple versions of your midlets for different manufacturer''s phones.

We have a J2ME benchmark which uses standard MIDP 1.0, at:
http://www.abstractworlds.com/strangemaze/index.php?id=bench

This gives you an indication of screen sizes available on different phones when just using MIDP 1.0 and no vendor API extensions.

the class you are looking for is FullCanvas.
Its nokia specific, but id say use it if you want. Most of the phones in the market are nokia phones anyway.
Try to ensure your game doesnt revolve around the game being full canvas though.
MAKE IT PORTABLE.