• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Emonious

It's ALL down hill with C++ from there! CRUD.

This topic is 5441 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Ok, maybe some of you can give me a bit of direction here. I'm working on a computer science major here, and since I am going for gaming, I am studying C++ by myself. I've bought over 5 quite good books on the matter, and am currently on just the basic C++ one. It's a Sams book of course which I consider to be good and bad at the same time. Teach yourself C++ in 24 hours, and it was quite good till chapter 8 and beyond :/ Then things went bad. After the basics, it attempted to show all sorts of uses for pointers, pointers to classes, copy constructors by use of pointers, references, more stuff that is poorly explained, and then more on top of that. Anyway, I'm almost completely lost, and only absorbed maybe half of it. The next book I'm looking at going towards is the Sams game programming book, however by looking at the book, and the fact it starts on windows API's, I really need to understand what on earth this C++ book is talking about half the time. It seems from the jump from this book to the next, this is quite a massive hurdle to get over. Not that anything like that would stop me, but it is slowing me down that is for sure :/ Maybe some of you have worked with this book (C++ in 24 hours) that I'm talking about? I'm taking an object oriented Java class for my major next semester, wondering if that will explain these concepts easier and what the heck they are even for as well, since C++ has some strong similarities to Java. So, what do you guys recomend? Anyone gone through this same problem with this book? Maybe you know a good site that runs through these concepts in a better explained way? Thanks for any help you might provide [edited by - Emonious on December 13, 2003 3:49:21 PM]

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
Now this book is a very hard read, but one of my friend went through it without knowing anything about any programming languages and he came out with an amazing amount of knowledge for the time he had been reading it. It took him about five months to digest most of the book, but I was very impressed. You need a lot of self motivating though to go through this.

http://www-h.eng.cam.ac.uk/help/tpl/languages/C++/Thinking_in_C++/tic_c.html

As a side note, pointers is a pretty hard concept to first grasp on why it would be any useful, but try to understand how it works without worrying about why it is any useful. One day, it will hit you on the back of the head and everything will become more clear.

Also java won''t help you with the topics you just enumerated but you are right that there are a lot of similarities.

Good Luck.

If you get confused with pointers, start with pointers in C.

If you get confused with classes, taking Java might help.

Before you can understand copy constructor, you need to understand pointers first.

Step by step and be patience.

I agree with Ekim. When I first started learning about pointers I had no idea what they were talking about. Now I use them all the time, it just takes some practice to understand what is going on with them.

Also learning Java wont help you with pointers since the language hides those details from the programmer. So it should be easier since you never have to deal with pointers in Java.

Clippy:"OMG, A NUMBAR! Let me format it for you"
Unsuspecting Student: "Ahhhhh! Damn you paperclip you ruined my paper. A thousand deaths upon you!"

"Game Programming: Without programming you''ve just got game"

I leared java before I learned c++, and it helped me a ton. Topics like classes, inheritance, member variables/methods are virtually identical in c++ and java.

As for pointers, practice makes perfect. Nobody really understands them at first, but as you use them more and more, you will get the hang of it.

As for the windows API, it would probably be best to gain a decent understanding of the c++ language before you jump into it. Programming the API will throw new topics at you like messages, window handles, and controls. After you get a handle on c++, I suggest picking up the book "Programming Windows" by Charles Petzold. That is the book I learned on, and It helped me a lot.

I do understand the basics of pointers, (self taught myself C years back) however after the basics are repeated, it jumps straight into more advanced uses that are poorly explained, especially in PURPOSE.

Thanks for the input so far guys. I''m still trying

C++ Primer Plus by Prata, published by Sams, the best C++ book ever, its my bible and everything is explained really well and in detail. Worth every little penny

- www.penten.tk -

When I first started learning C++ i couldn''t think of a real purpose but now after havng started to use Java with it''s lack of pointers you really do realise just how invaluable they are. Don''t worrk if you don''t really understand their purpose for now - just get to grips with pointer syntax and arithmetic and once you are more experienced you will realise for yourself

My 2D game engine

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!