Quake 2 engine -> isometric

Started by
6 comments, last by StupidBrainChild 20 years, 4 months ago
I was wondering about the feasibility of using the Quake 2 engine and converting to use as a 3D isometric engine. While this may belong in the iso, it didn''t quite seem to fit. If Q2 is not the best idea for it, any ideas?
Advertisement
quote:3D isometric engine

there is no such thing as a 3D isometric engine Isometric just means that you simulate 3D without perspective, like simcity like games do.
You can get the same gameplay with 3D, seen from the top, but I don''t think the quake2 engine would be good for it. The quake 2 engine uses bsp for occlusion culling, which is good for indoor, closed environment levels.
So with that overview camara point, almost everything that''s in your camera frustrum is visible, so simply clipping everything that''s outside your view (a quadtree would do very well here) is way more effective than that complex bsp pvs system that quake 2 uses

My Site
Thanks for the post.

Sorry about calling it a 3D isometric, i should have known better. What you said about Q2 what similar to what i was already thinking, after some research into how Quake 2''s engine handles clipping and culling. My question then becomes are there any isometrics out there that use 3D models, beyond WarCraft 3?
quote:Original post by StupidBrainChild
Thanks for the post.

Sorry about calling it a 3D isometric, i should have known better. What you said about Q2 what similar to what i was already thinking, after some research into how Quake 2''s engine handles clipping and culling. My question then becomes are there any isometrics out there that use 3D models, beyond WarCraft 3?

Of course there are some games that do 3d "isometric style" cameras. check out Eternal Lands
Actually its not true you get the same gameplay with 3d. It gives a better feel for games like simcity, where the relationships between individual objects aren''t as important as all the object''s relationships to the viewer.

I am assuming what you meant by "3d" is real world perspective projection with vanishing points and all. Iso is also "3d" because you can judge width, height, and depth as well.

I agree with you though that the quake engine wont be good at all for iso projections, since then u wont be able to aim properly etc.

I have a question, does the q2 engine come complete with the technology code or is it just the game attributes?

Thanks
You can download the source code for either the engine or the game stuff, go to www.idsoftware.com
Here

---------------------------------------

Let''s struggle for our dream of Game!

http://andrewporritt.4t.com
Wicked!!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement