• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

deanx2578

*ignore me* i figured it out

This topic is 5398 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

my trig is very rusty. I need to be able to calculate the degrees of an angle between known points on a graph. (for making characters face a specific direction in degrees in a game, for example, character a is at 100,500 and character b is at 500,750 assuming 0 degrees is looking straight down the positive x axis, how many degrees does character a need to turn from 0 to face character b? ). I have this formula, but i'm not sure what syntax to use for visual C, or if its really even the formula I need. even if you dont know the syntax, I'd still like to know the right formula. degrees= cos-1(ux*vx+uy*vy/|u|*|v|) ?? please help thanks! NM i figured it out [edited by - deanx2578 on December 13, 2003 6:18:26 PM]

Advertisement
ok...

angle = cos-1( U . V / (|U| . |V|));

angle is in radians.

your formula is mostly correct (convert degrees to angles), but it will give you an angle in the range [0, 180].

there is a better way

radians = tan-1(u ^ v, u * v);

u ^ v is the cross product
u * v is the dot product

u ^ v = (u.x*v.y - u.y*v.x);
u * v = (u.x*v.x + u.y*v.y);

so, in c++,

float degrees = ((float) atan2(ux*vy - uy*vx, ux*vx + uy*vy)) * (180.0f / pi);

atan2 takes care of finding which quadrant to use, where acos() doesn''t.

thanks. thats pretty much how i did it except i had to alter it to this for my program.

hero[0].dir= abs(atan2(hero[0].world_pos_z - hero[hero[0].target].world_pos_z, hero[0].world_pos_x - hero[hero[0].target].world_pos_x)*180/PI-180);

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!