RTS programming

Started by
5 comments, last by SpecialK99 20 years, 4 months ago
Hey, I''m just curious on what books and web sites are there to help start a begining programmer like myself on RTS game Programming. I''ve heard of this book, "Strategy Game Programming With DirectX 9" its listen on your site http://www.gamedev.net/columns/books/bookdetails.asp?productid=284 as a good start and I wanna know more opinions on that book and if they''re others that cover other areas of RTS programming. Thanks in advanced.
Advertisement
I know that it''s not the best way to learn for a beginner, but maybe you should take a look at some games at Sourceforge. Search for "real time strategy game" and you will find some nice looking games. Maybe this helps you...
I went on the site and it has alot of RTS games with source code. Its helpful but it doesn''t teach me how to start off. I''m probably gonna get the book to get the basics of RTS programming (I saw the book at my local bookstore and I think I understand most of the concepts) and then use the source code from that site to help on advanced concepts. Thanks alot man.
OMFG ASK THE KOREANS THEY LOVE RTS!!!!!!
that book is pretty good, i''ve browsed through it. I wouldn''t recommend the older RTS programming book, I think it was for Direct X 7, it was a completely different author and the guy really didn''t know what he was talking about some of the time. at least in his coding style. he was one of those people that did everything for themselves in their code and that''s not hte easiest thing for beginners IMO.
Ahh good the book is good then. Thats comforting. I can''t wait to get started on RTS I hope it all works out well. You see, I luv RTS games and my imagination goes crazy at the thought of making it. I know basic C++ (i took the course at school) and I have books for teaching me some of the advanced concepts so I consider myself ready to tackle some basic real game creation.
Thanks for the help guys thanks so much.
Amit''s your man.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement