Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kraptor game released (a Rapt*r like game)

This topic is 5116 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I released a new preview version of Kraptor.
Kraptor is a open source game similar to Raptor,Raiden,Aero Fighters,R-Type,Turbo Force,Vapor Trail,Varth, etc... Despise his funny name, it worth a try.
Has a lot of new improvements, weapons, new control (joystick, mouse, keyboard), and all.
Comes with little levels to test, the final version has more levels.
The full source code and datafiles for Linux, Windows and DOS (all the same pack) can be downloaded from the web site at http://kraptor.sourceforge.net/
All feedback will be appreciated.
More info about it can be read here
More screenshoots at homepage

[edited by - kronoman on December 14, 2003 5:40:16 PM]

Guest Anonymous Poster
Hello. No-one answered yet???

I tried quickly, not much time to play, and it looked beatiful and very well done. I hate viteos in game, so after switched them off it was more good Nie graphics also. Well done!

It''s just unplayable. You seem to have a big problem with the user input, like you''re only recording one key at a time, or the last key, i don''t know; but your ship never goes where you want to..

Y.

quote:
Original post by Ysaneya
It''s just unplayable. You seem to have a big problem with the user input, like you''re only recording one key at a time, or the last key, i don''t know; but your ship never goes where you want to..

Y.

Must be just your comp. I played it on mine and the controls worked fine.

It''s really not that bad, but the movies looked really bad.. blocky..

Hi again.
The ship keeps moving because it uses a ''momentum'' controller, that means, when you press right, actually you increase the speed in that direction, so, to drive the ship to a full stop, you have to press the left (same for up, down), or wait until friction do his job (the idea is control it with short keypress, is a sensible control, like the original Raptor).
You can try to recompile changing first the values of (inside /include/jugador.h)

// speed
#define VEL_X_J 2.5
#define VEL_Y_J 2.5

// friction
#define FRC_X_J 0.02
#define FRC_Y_J 0.02

Try incresing friction and lowering speed.
This will be in a scroller in configuration in future.

The keyboard single-key is weird, first time reporte, I don''t manage the keyborad myself, it uses Allegro for that,and normally it should grab all keys.

The videos are 160x120 to save space, thats why are blocky.
The game development was originally started on a 486, and mostly of the scenes where done there (in fact, the DOS version of the game can run in a 486 @ 320x200x8bpp, try it) :-O

Guest Anonymous Poster
I played the game, and worked great.

Is very ''retro'', so probably that''s why nobody seems to get the catch on how to play it.

This game makes me remember my teen years at arcade machines :D
In that times, all arcade games were this way, hard to play until you got the catch... ha... the good old days... zero 3D, all fun...

"Winners don''t use drugs" <-- you should add that to the end of the game :D (Remember that message on the end of some arcade games?)

Believe me, it''s more than just an inertia issue.

For example, say your ship is at the bottom center of the screen. You press the up and left arrows at the same time, to make it go into the up-left direction. Your ship starts moving, fine.

Now, while the ship is moving, you release the up arrow, keeping the left arrow pressed. Your ship should logically move to the left, and slowly stop moving up, right ?

Well no, it continues the exact same movement in the up-left direction. That''s why it''s unplayable. Can''t avoid any bullets.

Y.

Congratulations!
You actually found a bug :D
I wonder why I never noticed this issue, I think that I just pressed DOWN key to stop it automatically without noticing it.

Well, I solved the issue, together with other issues that had been reported to me in other forums.

I will make another release in a month or so, when I have more levels, and all stuff solved.

With the new code, the game should be playable now, it solves the issue in the keyboard, mouse, and joystick controller.

If you don''t want to wait to next release, the way to solve it is adding this code at line 315 of src/jugador.c and recompile it:

----- insert below line 315 of src/jugador.c
if (jugador.vida > 1)
{
if (!(tk_driver & DER) && !(tk_driver & IZQ)) jugador.dx = 0;
if (!(tk_driver & ARR) && !(tk_driver & ABJ)) jugador.dy = 0;
}
-----

Well, thanks again, and if anybody found another bug, report it please.
Also, if anybody has a MacOS X and can compile it, please tell me, theoretically it should work, but I can''t probe it.

The game's really good but when i started it up whenever i moved the mouse the background got "deleted" is the only was i can think to describe it. The mouse moved a bit slow for me so maybe you could increase mouse sensitivity?

EDIT: sorry, was runnin kraptor.exe and not kraptor_w32.exe, works perfectly now

My 2D game engine

[edited by - Spudder on December 16, 2003 12:16:14 PM]