Using dragons in a real-time strategy game

Started by
24 comments, last by Beavt8r 23 years, 9 months ago
I just wanted to mention that the original post stated that the game would be a RTS... usually RTS games include several dozens of units. One dragon was not the point of my posts. I was stating those ideas for multiple dragons under one player. Why should the amount of detail be limited to a single entity, in this case a dragon... in Black and White it is some other thing. In any case, just wanted to point this out.

Enoch
Enoch DagorLead DeveloperDark Sky EntertainmentBeyond Protocol
Advertisement
A game of only dragons is actually what i''m working towards in all my programming endeavors. Mine won''t be an RTS, but it will involve lots of stuff mentioned here (and i thought of it before reading your posts, so nanner nanner naaannr ). Right now however, i''m trying to develop a good engine with which to make the game.
Where did the creator of the thread say it was to be an RTS? I don''t see that in the original post anywhere...

This is a pretty interesting idea though, so I guess I''ll chuck in one of my own ideas for everyone to think about.

Everyone is talking about using RTS and RPG style gameplay... so here''s an alternative... how about an RPG-Wargame? I''m not sure if I can think of any good examples of existing games to describe what I mean, so I''ll try to describe what I''m thinking as best I can.

The main elements that this combination utilizes from RPG''s would be:
1) The player controls a main character, perhaps a few others (not many)
2) The methods of character advancement
3) Plot and storylines of varying sizes effect the world which react to the player''s actions

From wargames:
1) The players main character(s) have the ability to control large numbers of NPC allies/soldiers/etc. (depending on type of game).
2) Warfare between various factions (duh) - but with RPG aspects added in, such as leader personalities, and dynamic plotlines
3) Strategy and tactics, not merely number crunching to figure out which side has the best equipment/skill
4) Easy integration of multiplayer... you could even go further than most wargames (and RPGs) go by having differing levels of command for each player. ie., you might have one player acting as commander (main char), another player on the same team acting as a general (secondary char?); these players would feel more like they''re playing a wargame than an RPG.
Another player on an opposing side that plays a spy, an assassin, a hero, or whatever (use imagination) that "feels" more like he''s playing an RPG than a wargame.

If it was designed well, a player could even change roles at will simply by taking steps to do so. For example, if a player has been relying mostly on his main character''s abilities (main characters would potentially be very strong in this case), if he decided that he''d rather hire/build/recruit NPC support he can do so. This would in effect transform the game into more of a wargame than an RPG, or vise versa.

Now that I''ve explained the basic idea I''ve thought of a game that is slightly similar in one aspect... called Warsong (for Genesis or something). The similarity is that the generals are much stronger than the troops and are by themselves a small army (you could play and win the game without even using armies if you do it right).

I still can''t think of any games that have the flexibility that I''m attempting to describe here... there probably is a few but, who knows.

Anyway, maybe this helped stir up some new ideas for someone, at least. On a side note, I''m looking to get involved with a project similar to what I just described (or tried to describe anyway...). I''m a C++ programmer that can do some OOP, general 2D graphics (especially interface graphics), and basic 3D graphics. So if this sounds at all interesting to a few people...

Maybe I''ll post this on another thread (probably should have, heh), but I posted here because I think it''d work in your case. It is just a rough idea that I need to brush up some but hopefully I got the point across.

===========================================

As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not certain, and as far as they are certain, they do not refer to reality.

-Albert Einstein
(Psst...Tebriel...check the title of the original post)
Doh!

oops!

===========================================

As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not certain, and as far as they are certain, they do not refer to reality.

-Albert Einstein
I think a fun idea for a dragon rts would be to have them breed and evolve. So, instead of building a dragon blacksmith shop to make better armor to increase defense by x points, you have to put certain types of dragons together under certain conditions, and figure out what combinations create the best new dragons. There might be certain magic items that could add certain effects or influence the way the dragons breed. It could be really complex and fun to figure out.

Take all of this with a grain of salt, tho, because I''m playing FFVII, and I love the materia concept. I''d basically like to see that kind of depth in how you get dragons with different powers.

- Cloud, er ... gollum.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement