Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Display modes, hardware enum, etc.

This topic is 5118 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I''m just switching from Direct3D to OpenGL and I can nowhere find anything about how to enumerate graphics adapters, modes, etc using OpenGL. Direct3D has extensive support for these actions, are there any similar procedures in the OpenGL libs? Thanks.

Guest Anonymous Poster
i''m not the best person to help you, but i''ll give it a shot.

so opengl is cross platform.. it does that by letting the window system (win32 on windows, X11/GLX on linux) handle stuff like display modes etc.

so on each platform, there is a special set of functions for doing that.
on windows, these are the wgl functions. on X11, these are glX functions.

here''s a starting point:

wglChoosePixelFormat

glXChooseVisual

try this link, too
http://www.opengl.org/developers/faqs/technical/mswindows.htm

The AP is right. As OpenGL is a cross-platform graphics API, it doesn''t handle things like Direct3D does. You''ll need to dig in the documentation of the platform you''re using to find out which functions to call to do what you''re asking.

If you want to change the resolution using Win32 functions and enumerate which modes the graphics card can handle, you''ll need to search for info on the ChangeDisplaySettings and EnumDisplaySettings functions, and on the DEVMODE structure...

Windows 95/NT - 32 bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16 bit patch
to an 8 bit operating system originally coded for a 4 bit microprocessor,
written by a 2 bit company that can''t stand 1 bit of competition.