Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New in AI Programming

This topic is 5112 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

hi, i m completely new to AI programming. However i m not new to programming, as i m doing programming in c/c++ from 3 years. i m also doing CS and i m at the end of third year. for my final year project i was wondering that if i could make a project related to Artificial Intellegence. Although i have heard about a lot of terminologies in AI like expert systems,genetic prog,genetic algo,artificial life,neural networks etc but i don''t have good understanding of them. I posted here because i want to start in this field and need some guidance from u people.I also want to know practical applications of AI. i have gone to this site AIdepot but the info there is scatered and i don''t know where to start and since there are so many fields within AI like the ones i mentioned above i m confused about what to look for. i m also very interested in that Artificial life thing but couldn''t find any thing that is easily understood by a begginer. u people can help me by providing some good links, names of good books, or some place where i can get a good explaination of each of the above things that i mentioned, in a one good article. The reason i m asking u to do this because there are so many things and i can''t understand where to start. although i will be having an AI course in the next semester but i want to start on it now. please help. looking forward to positive replies thanx a lot

I''d say you should start with the finite state machine. Google. It is very easy to understand to a beginner - they are rather simple. Then move on to Neural Networks, Pathfinding or whatever...

Try starting with a problem. What do you want to do? What would you like to solve? Look at problems people working with AI have solved -- maybe that would provide somethign to focus on a bit.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Just think about a non-player character like a monster in Quake. You can simulate a typical behaviour using a finite state machine, like the one you learnt. For example, the states could represent the "attack level" of your monster. If your monster is low on life, it will probably be in a state where it will try to avoid the player. It could move in another state if a transition is triggered (he gets a better weapon or an armor). It''s just a matter of thinking about the states of your monster and what may cause a change in these states.