Gamespace or Truespace?

Started by
11 comments, last by RonHiler 20 years, 4 months ago
look for blender - it's 3dsmax, but free (sort of)

for more animation control over milkshape models (and others) look for Character FX - great keyframing and IK stuff and only $15

or write your own - could be quite simple if you use cal3d as a basis

[edited by - mrbastard on December 17, 2003 10:36:59 AM]
[size="1"]
Advertisement
You cannot export files from gMax to .3ds or you own format. The Maxscript in gMax doesnt have file output functions. One way is to download the gamepak of a popular game file format and convert that format to your own or simply use that format.(MD2/MD3)

Blender has alot of features, but is nothing like Max in it''s interface or ease of use. I have tried it, but find it hard to adopt to it because im used to 3dMax.
Wow, thanks for the suggestions guys. Very helpful!

Milkshape
Even with CharacterFX to help out with the animation work, I still think I want to get away from Milkshape. After playing with True/Game-space, I find I like modeling right in the perspective mode, which you can''t do effectively with MS. I have a multitude of little problems with MS, each one of which is trivial on it''s own, but when put together equals me looking to move on

gMax
Interesting! I didn''t realize 3DSMax had a free version. I will try it out. The lack of file export/import functions is troubling though, and the licensce issue needs to be resolved one way or the other

Blender
I''ve tried it, I don''t like it. One of the guys who does modelling for me swears by it though Just goes to show its all about what you''re used to using, heh.

Cal3D
I''ve looked at Cal3D. I''d rather have a modelling package to actually do my animations in though rather than trying to roll my own. Once I have the animations in x files, I will probably look at Cal3D as a basis for running them in my game.

So far, pending my investigation of gMax, I''m leaning toward gamespace. I think I''ve decided that truespace is unneccesary for what I want and gamespace has all the appropriate functionality for game programming. So now it looks like it might be a choice between gMax and GameSpace.
Creation is an act of sheer will

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement