Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Game Engine -- What do I DO with it now??

This topic is 5112 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Very noobish questions (as I am a newbie...) Hi, alright, this has been buggin me for days.. I downloaded the Genesis3d engine, from the site... And now I have a folder with it''s files... I wanna explore the engine... Problem is, I have no idea what to DO with it now!!! Can someone help me with this?? Maybe explain me how, what way etc, a game engine works?? If you would, maybe, you can explain this to me in chat?? MSN is all I have.. handle: battleguard8890@hotmail.com Thanx a real lot.. bye Battleguard
Only questions raise questions. Questions are raised by people, by curiousity, the gift of nature to all human beings. And curiosity is satisfied by answers, which in turn raise questions, which lead to answers. And this curiosity is what keeps SCIENCE alive...

Guest Anonymous Poster
err why''d you download it if you didn''t know what to do with it?

Genesis does have a large community which should be able to offer you some help on getting started or you could run the code through a doc tool like Doxygen to browse the code that way an get a feel for how it all fits together

My 2D game engine

1)use gtest codebase to build on or build levels to run on gtest
2)use win32 knowledge to build your own gtest equivalent from scratch
3)use math,gfx,etc. knowledge to modify the engine and tools

The lower you go the more experienced you need to be. For #2 you will need to insert entities into the editor so it can pick them up and so you can use them in the editor. That''s what gtest does for you. Though, it''s a very icky codebase For #3 you will have to already designed g3d like engine before in order to make sense out of it. #2 is some work though, possibly easier if you modify gtest to suit you. #1 is easiest by far. #3 is for machosists The problem with g3d is that there is not enough docs and/or missing info so you''ll spend time hunting thru engine headers and c-files. There is an engine/tool suite that''s build on the g3d called realityfactory? or some such. That cost money though but might be more usable. To be frank, g3d is suited to the pro who knows what''s he doing, fixing outstanding bugs and modifying the engine to suit his needs. The editor has a major bug in it w.r.t. texture precedence with cutbrushes and solids. Major, major headache right there. I think it''s logical bug but I haven''t investigated it in detail. The editor is also buggy, like goes caput after using some tool and such. Must save frequently. Other than that, if you use gtest you can build some levels/lit them and have quite fun messing with it.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Sounds like someone who doesn''t know anything about programming and wants to create Doom 4.

Sounds like someone has to post under an anonymous name cause he doesn''t have the guts to act like a jerk under a real account.

Anyway, an engine doesn''t really seem to be the place to start. At least for me. You really need to dive deep into learning C++ and make a small engine yourself before you might see a use for one.

Just my advice on that, not much experience behind it either

Guest Anonymous Poster
quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
Sounds like someone who doesn''t know anything about programming and wants to create Doom 4.

You Are a Jerk...anyways, hang around the community for a few weeks, you will be suprised what you''ll pick up.

That was a pretty dick statement, someone went into the beginners fourm to try to learn where to start, and granted an engine may not be the best place but thats why you post in the beginners fourm. If you know so much that you can critisize others than please save your energy to help people understand what you know

sorry i had to do that i hate when people like that

pardon my spelling

Hehe, whoa, I have no idea what happened here ..

Anyway, I''m gonna follow Emonious''s (sp?) advice, and just go on learning C++, and then check out some GD books, anyway, thanx, I''ll check into Genesis3d later, when I can actually understand what it''s used for etc..

BattleGuard

Only questions raise questions. Questions are raised by people, by curiousity, the gift of nature to all human beings. And curiosity is satisfied by answers, which in turn raise questions, which lead to answers. And this curiosity is what keeps SCIENCE alive...