Sams Teach Yourself Game Programming with DirectX in 21 Days

Started by
8 comments, last by asdasd12345 20 years, 4 months ago
There are only 3 reviews on the amazon website - they are all positive, but I thought I would see what people thought about it on here before I bought it. IS it any good?
http://www.geocities.com/asdasd12345/
Advertisement
Excellent book! The code is somewhat incomplete, so you gotta work your way through it.

It is excellent for 2d, and steps into 3d for a few chapters (12-16).

It very thoroughly covers DDraw, DInput, DSound, DPlay.

It is based on DX7, so if you are working on 8 or 9 this is probably not the book for you.

TechleadEnilno, the Ultima 2 projectwww.dr-code.org/enilno
The book is based on DirectX 8.1, it says so in the description, it was published recently, and some of the reviews on different websites says it uses it. Anyways I heard good things about it, I was going to get it before.
What are the knowledge prerequisites??

BattleGuard

Only questions raise questions. Questions are raised by people, by curiousity, the gift of nature to all human beings. And curiosity is satisfied by answers, which in turn raise questions, which lead to answers. And this curiosity is what keeps SCIENCE alive...
I''m stuck on chapter 2.. and it assumes you know win32 api.. IIRC I left the book after not being able to finish the excercises with chapter 2
If it''s a DX7 book that covers directdraw then you shouldn''t buy it. Unless when it''s in the $5 bin. DirectX 8 was released in 2000, over 3 years ago. Learning directdraw and DX7 now is wasted time and could be counterproductive as you learn things that are different/more simple in DX8/9 already.
That is some good advice, as I was trying to learn DirectDraw, but if its that old there really is no point.
http://www.geocities.com/asdasd12345/
Sorry,

I was talking about "teach yourself dx in 24 hours"

and if you want to learn direct draw, that is a good book.

It''s outdated in the sence that its dx7, but it''s perfect for you in the sence that direct draw is not in DX8 or 9.
TechleadEnilno, the Ultima 2 projectwww.dr-code.org/enilno
quote:Original post by asdasd12345
That is some good advice, as I was trying to learn DirectDraw, but if its that old there really is no point.

Wich book are you talking about?
If you''re talking about Sams Teach Yourself DirectX in 21 Days then it''s only 1 year old and uses DirectX 8. Just becuase it uses 2D graphics doesn''t mean it''s direct draw, it uses Direct3D.
quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
quote:Original post by asdasd12345

Wich book are you talking about?
If you''re talking about Sams Teach Yourself DirectX in 21 Days then it''s only 1 year old and uses DirectX 8. Just becuase it uses 2D graphics doesn''t mean it''s direct draw, it uses Direct3D.

He said ''Teach yourself Game Programming with directX in 21 days'', not teach yourself directx.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement